x

Suspect Confesses: I Kidnapped Kaduna Priest to Get ₦200,000

A key suspect in the kidnapping and killing of Rev. Fr. Sylvester Okechukwu, a priest of the Catholic Diocese of Kafanchan, Kaduna State, has revealed that he orchestrated the abduction to raise ₦200,000 for personal needs.

Speaking at the headquarters of Operation Safe Haven in Jos on Thursday, the suspect admitted to planning the kidnapping but denied ordering the priest’s murder.

“Fr. Okechukwu was living in our house in Tachira. I arranged his abduction because I needed ₦200,000 to solve a problem,” he confessed.

He further explained that he enlisted the help of others but claimed ignorance about the killing.

“I invited some guys from other places to assist, but I never told them to kill him. I don’t know why they did it because I had already left before it happened,” he said.

Okechukwu was kidnapped on March 4 from his home in Tachira, Kaura Local Government Area, and his body was discovered the following day, March 5.

Another suspect, also in custody, revealed that he was pressured into joining the crime.

“At first, I refused, but he kept insisting. Since we grew up in the same community, I later agreed. On that day, I traveled from Warsa-Piti in Lere Local Government to join the operation. He also brought others from Bokkos in Plateau State, and they came with guns. After we kidnapped the priest and walked some distance, we left him with them. We don’t know why they killed him,” he stated.

The suspects were apprehended on Tuesday after a military raid in the Warsa-Piti community of Lere LGA, Kaduna State.

Hot this week

NO ONE IS ABOVE GOD, NOT EVEN THE POPE – AONDOAKAA

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of...

FCTA, Firm Sign Pact to Turn Jabi Lake into Abuja’s Recreation Hub

… Warns Land Speculators to Stop Hoarding LandBy Joyce...

FCT Council Election: I ‘ll only Back “Asiwaju ‘s” Supporters—Wike

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe FCT) Minister, Barr. Nyesom Wike,...

Tuomo Clan Gets Western Zone Backing for INC 1st Vice President Slot

Chief Ezonebi Oyakemeagbegha, outgoing Publicity Secretary of the Ijaw...

Jude Bellingham Linked With Conditional Move to Manchester United

Reports indicate that Jude Bellingham has reached an agreement...

Northern Stakeholders, Coalition Stage Anti-Elrufai protest in Kaduna

...Urges his detention till proper investigationBy Achadu Gabriel,...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

Terrorism Spillover from the Sahel: What Nigeria Must Prepare For

By Emmanuel Samdave OnucheThe Sahel has emerged as the...

Prosperity Cup Organisers Train Referees Ahead of Tournament

Organisers of the , popularly known as the Prosperity...

Ramadan, Lent: 90 Convicts Freed in Kaduna as Gov Sani Calls for Unity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaGovernor of has approved the release...

Pay 1% NCDF Levy or Risk Loss of Approvals, NCDMB Warns

The (NCDMB) has reiterated that payment of the one...

Political Stalwarts in Ukwa East Defect to Labour Party

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuThe in has recorded a fresh...

Relief for Former Councillors in Abia as Payment of Arrears Begins

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuFormer councillors who served in local...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img