Tag: Gov Akeredolu

  • Why we banned open grazing in Southern Nigeria – Gov Akeredolu

    Why we banned open grazing in Southern Nigeria – Gov Akeredolu

    The governors of the seventeen Southern states on Tuesday, May 11, met in Delta state where they banned open grazing and called on President Buhari to address Nigerians on the challenges of insecurity.

    Chairman of the Southern Governor’s Forum and Ondo state governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, read the communique from the meeting. Read here.

    In an interview with Arise TV on Wednesday, May 12, Governor Akeredolu explained why the Southern Governors Forum placed a ban on open grazing of cows in states across the region.

    In his words

    “It is not an entirely new issue. Most of the governors have placed a ban on open grazing in their states before the meeting. We looked at what is happening in our respective states. Most of the states have passed laws on open grazing. Virtually all of us have passed that law. We felt that this open grazing must stop. It is causing a lot of problems particularly between the herders and the farmers.

    Whether we like it or not, times have changed and this must change. We must adopt a modern system of animal husbandry.

    In this day and age, they cannot continue taking cows by foot from Kano to Port Harcourt,” he said.

    Governor Akeredolu said the Federal Government needs to throw its weight behind state governments that want to set up ranches. According to him, this would benefit herders who are exposed to dangers as they roam with their cattle.

    “At the meeting, we referred to what Governor Ganduje said. It was clear that he is also against open grazing. He says it does not augur well and the herders also do not benefit from it. There is no development, they are exposed to dangers.

    That why we suggested that the Federal Government should intervene to help these herders. The Federal government should give money for ranches to be created. That is why it is part of our recommendation that states who want to create ranches be supported.” he said

  • Ondo Tribunal Strikes Out Jegede Case Against Akeredolu

    Ondo Tribunal Strikes Out Jegede Case Against Akeredolu

    The Ondo State Election Petition Tribunal on Tuesday struck out the case filed by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in the October 10, 2020 governorship poll in the state, Eyitayo Jegede.

    Following the re-election of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) last year, Akeredolu had challenged the victory in the Tribunal.

    But the Chairman of the Tribunal, Justice Abubakar Umar, dismissed the case of the PDP candidate for lacking in merit.

    “The issue raised therein in this petition are settled issue of internal affairs and Management of a political party which this Tribunal has no Jurisdiction,” he ruled.

    Reacting to the outcome, Akeredolu addressed journalists at the Government House, Akure, the state capital on the judgement.

    While thanking the tribunal for the judgement and the people of the state for their support, asking the PDP candidate to join hands with him to move the state forward.

    The tribunal had last week announced in a notice made available to journalists that judgment had been fixed for Wednesday.

    However, in another notice issued on Monday evening by the Tribunal Secretary, parties involved in the case were informed that the date has changed to Tuesday.

  • Count Ondo out of your secession agenda – Gov Akeredolu warns Igboho

    Count Ondo out of your secession agenda – Gov Akeredolu warns Igboho

    The Governor of Ondo State, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, on Monday, revealed that the state is not involved in the secession agenda that is currently being agitated for by some groups in south west.

    According to Akeredolu, who warned the frontline agitators of Oduduwa Republic to stay away from Ondo State, the people of the state have elected to stay in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

    Akeredolu stated this during the swearing-in ceremony of the newly appointed first female Secretary to the State Government, Princess Oladunni Odu, and four Special Advisers at the Cocoa Conference Hall of the Governor’s Office, Alagbaka, Akure.

    Recently, a Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Igboho and others within the southwest zone had been agitating that Yoruba land should break away from Nigeria.

    While emphasizing that the noises generated by what he described as seeming inaction or passive indifference on the part of elected and appointed representatives of the government at all levels appears to be responsible for the growing disaffection in the land, Akeredolu maintained that while some have been measured in their reactions to these problems, others have been less diplomatic about the agenda.

    “While it is the right of citizens to discuss, agitate and even fight to right perceived wrongs, culminating in self-determination, this must be done within known and acceptable parameters. All concerned must be ad idem, that is, agree to pursue the same objectives to achieve a desirable or desired end.”

    The governor further stated that there are reasons to demand that certain anomalies be put right, adding that dialogue would continue to be encouraged as an effective tool in resolving disputes.

    “Consequently, no part of the entire State, known and delineated as Ondo State, shall permit any gathering or agitation which may suggest, however remotely, that we are in support of unthinking rabble rousing. We will not be led to assured annihilation by anyone or a group of people, still smarting from the electoral defeats of recent times and presumed exclusion from the process of decision-making.

    “Our people are knowledgeable enough to determine their interest at any point. If and when they consider self-determination as an option, they will not depend on external promptings to act. That is why we are different. That is why we are who we are. And that is the way it is going to be.”

  • Gov Akeredolu orders compulsory recitation of Oodua anthem in all Ondo School

    Gov Akeredolu orders compulsory recitation of Oodua anthem in all Ondo School

    The Ondo State Government has made it compulsory for all students in the state to recite the Oodua Anthem in their schools.

    The order reportedly affects all the private and public institutions from primary to tertiary level in the state.

    This was contained in a circular sent to all stakeholders from the state Ministry of Education,  Science and Technology.

    The circular, titled “Recitation of Oodua Anthem in all schools”, was signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Mr Akin Asaniyan.

    It reads: “Please note that at the just concluded inter-schools debate and award ceremony organised by Ondo State Ministry of Education Science and Technology, held on Thursday, February 25,  2021, at the International Culture and Event Center ( The Dome), Governor Rotimi Akeredolu,  announced that the state had adopted the Oodua Anthem and it is to be recited by the residents of the state.

    “In the light of this development,  Mr Governor has directed that the anthem is now compulsory in all public and private schools ( primary and secondary),  as well as tertiary institutions in the state,  to be recited by all students and teachers henceforth.”

  • Ondo Assembly approves appointment of thirteen Special Advisers for Gov Akeredolu

    Ondo Assembly approves appointment of thirteen Special Advisers for Gov Akeredolu

    The Ondo State House of Assembly has approved the appointment of thirteen Special Advisers for Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu for his second term in office.

    This followed a letter of request to that effect written by the Chief of Staff to the Governor, Olugbenga Ale.

    Members of the House at a parliamentary meeting observed that the request was in line with the constitutional rights of the governor.

    They added that it would accelerate the machinery of government with a view to engendering prompt delivery of democracy dividends to the people

    Governor Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu was sworn in for a second term in office on Wednesday the 24th of February 2021.

  • Presidency intervenes as Akeredolu’s ultimatum to herders expires

    Presidency intervenes as Akeredolu’s ultimatum to herders expires

    The Presidency has stepped in to avoid possible clash between herdsmen and officials of the Ondo State Government, who are to enforce the vacation order by Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu to herdsmen in the forest reserves.

    Governor Akeredolu last Monday issued a seven- day ultimatum to herdsmen in the forests reserves to leave the area as part of measures to curb kidnappings and banditry.

    Akeredolu said herdsmen, who wished to carry on with cattle-rearing business in the state, should register with appropriate authorities or get forced out.

    The ultimatum ends on Sunday and the state government has gotten support from major stakeholders that the herdsmen must be made to leave the reserves.

    It was gathered that national leadership of the Miyetti Allah was already in the State ahead of the meeting with Southwest Governors scheduled to hold in Akure on Monday.


    Sources said it was the Presidency that directed the leadership of Miyetti Allah to hold the urgent meeting with governors of the region.

    A media aide to one of the Southwest governors, who preferred anonymity, told journalists in Akure that his boss would attend the meeting.

    According to him: “The whole thing was about misconception. We all know the Presidency misinterpreted the Ondo State government’s directive. They took it to mean a total action which intended to clear the state if all herders.

    “And while admitting that the spokesman to Mr President acted hastily and without proper authorization, they (Presidency) have reached out to other governors to facilitate a meeting where the leadership of Miyyetti Allah would likely plead for time to comply with the directive.

    “My principal is involved and very concerned too because this is a Yoruba matter and not a personal issue between Aketi and the herders.

    “So we are coming to Akure for the meeting tomorrow at 12. We need to give the honour to our chairman, the governor of Ondo State who is even leading the fight against insecurity in the region”.

    Ondo Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, said meetings were not unusual.

    “Well, meetings of that nature, if true, are not unusual. We are all in it together. No ethnic group or a particular trade is the target of the government order. So it will be a welcome development if the meeting is holding. There is nothing too unusual about it”, he said.

    Ondo Chairman of the Miyetti Allah, Alhaji Mohammed Bello, confirmed the scheduled meeting

  • Gov Akeredolu Orders Herdsmen To Vacate Ondo Forest Reserves

    Gov Akeredolu Orders Herdsmen To Vacate Ondo Forest Reserves

    Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Monday ordered herdsmen to vacate all forest reserves in the state within the next seven days.

    The Governor, who made the proclamation via Twitter, said the order had become imperative due to the increasing incidents of kidnap cases in the state.

    “These unfortunate incidents are traceable to the activities of some bad elements masquerading as herdsmen,” Akeredolu said. “These felons have turned our forest reserves into hideouts for keeping victims of kidnapping, negotiating for ransom, and carrying out other criminal activities.”

    The Governor also banned night-grazing with immediate effect “because most farm destruction takes place at night.”

    “Movement of cattle within cities and highways is prohibited,” he added. “Under-aged grazing of cattle is outlawed.

    “Our resolution to guarantee safety of lives and property within the State shall remain utmost as security agencies have been directed to enforce the ban.”

    The Governor noted that his administration “will give a grace period of seven days for those who wish to carry on with their cattle-rearing business to register with appropriate authorities.”