Tag: Investigation

  • N2.6 trillion debt: Reps invite NNPC, NDDC, others for investigation

    N2.6 trillion debt: Reps invite NNPC, NDDC, others for investigation

    By Isaac Kertyo

    In its bid to investigate over N2.6 trillion debt owed by oil companies, the House of Representatives has invited the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, the Niger Delta Development Commission, and many others before the House.

    The other bodies invited by the House Ad-hoc Committee on the recovery of outstanding debts owed to the Federal Government by Oil and Gas companies in Nigeria include the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Upstream Regulatory Commission, Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority.

    This is based on the report of the National Extractive Industries Extractive Initiative that 77 Oil and Gas companies operating in Nigeria were owing the Federal Government over N2.6 trillion.

    The Clerk of the Committee, Mr Eric Makwe, said this in a statement on Monday in Abuja, against the backdrop of the 2020 NEITI report.

    He said that the invitation was based on the motion at plenary on November 30, 2021, which cited the NEITI report that 77 Oil and Gas companies operating in Nigeria were owing the Federal Government over N2.6 trillion.

    The clerk also noted that the House directed NEITI, the National Oil Spill Detection Agency, and the FIRS to provide necessary data that was needed in the investigation that would help to facilitate recovery of the debts.

    He also said that the head of the 18-member ad hoc committee investigating the debt, Representative Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, had assured that the committee would thoroughly investigate all issues raised in the NEITI report.
    “The probe is in respect of outstanding liabilities owed by Oil and Gas which include payments of royalties, levies, rents, concessions, rentals, and penalties,” he said.

    Others are taxes, including petroleum profit tax, company income tax, education tax, Value Added Tax, withholding tax, among others.
    Makwe also noted that the major concern of the lawmakers was on the current poor revenue structure and rising debt profile which the government was battling.

    It was gathered that the committee had already begun the investigation and was already making interesting discoveries.

  • Hushppupi: Police ordered to conclude investigation on Abba Kyari in two weeks

    Hushppupi: Police ordered to conclude investigation on Abba Kyari in two weeks

    By Becky Adi

    Following its rejection of the earlier investigation report on the alleged involvement of suspended IRT Commander, DCP Abba Kyari in the $1.1million internet scam perpetrated by internet fraudster,

    Ramon Abass aka Hushpuppi, the Police Service Commission (PSC) has directed the Force headquarters to constitute another panel of inquiry to investigate the FBI indictment allegations against the Officer.

    The directive to the Police Force headquarters, followed the deferment of the final decision by the commission on the grounds of the legal advice from the Attorney General of the Federation to the effect that

    “there’s a prima facie case but the evidence adduced by the former investigation panel cannot be used to convict Kyari in any court”.

    A statement in this regard signed by Ikechukwu Ani, head of Press and Public Relations said, “The Police Service Commission has deferred decision on the case involving suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police Abba A.

    Kyari, who until his suspension by the Commission was the Officer in charge of the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT).

    “Kyari had earlier been indicted by a Report of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of the United States and was also investigated by a special Panel set up by the Inspector General of Police.

    “The Report had earlier been forwarded to the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice for legal advice by the Inspector General of Police.

    “The Commission also directed that further necessary investigation should take half the time it took the Police to conduct the original investigation and that the investigation should be carried out by a different panel.

    “The Commission took the decision at the continuation of its14th Plenary Meeting which ended in Abuja on Thursday, February 11th 2022 and which was chaired by Alhaji Musiliu Smith, a retired Inspector General of Police and Chairman of the Commission.

    “The Commission at the Plenary Meeting also considered 20 Pending Disciplinary Matters and five appeals and petitions from the Inspector General of Police and aggrieved serving and ex-Police Officers. It also considered five promotion appeals.

    “The Commission reaffirmed its earlier decision to exonerate SP Shaaba Adamu Gboyako a former Chief Security Officer (CSO) to former Inspector General of Police taken at its I9th Plenary Meeting of 28th and 29th September, 2020.

    “The Commission was mindful of the need to safeguard its corporate image and defend its institutional integrity. It directed the Inspector General of Police to implement its decision as its affects the Officer without delay…”

  • Nigerian army to investigate attack on Borno governor’s convoy

    Nigerian army to investigate attack on Borno governor’s convoy

    The Nigerian Army is to investigate Wednesday’s attack on the convoy of Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno by suspected Boko Haram terrorists, Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, disclosed in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

    Musa said that the governor’s convoy came under terrorists fire while visiting Baga town.

    He said the governor had earlier paid a visit to the Commander, 19 Brigade at the Nigerian Army Super Camp Baga where he was briefed about the prevailing security situation in the general area.

    According to him, the unfortunate incident occurred shortly after the Governor and his entourage departed the Super Campaign to visit other parts of Baga town.

    “The incident forced the Governor to abort his planned movement to Baga.

    “Although, details of the unfortunate incident is sketchy and under investigation, efforts are ongoing to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers.

    “An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack,” he said.

    Musa however, said that the attach was an isolated and most unfortunate incident owing to the fact that normalcy had since been restored to Baga with socio-economic activities picking up.

    “Nigerian Army wishes to inform the general public that it will continue to discharge its responsibilities professionally with respect for the fundamental human rights of all Nigerians and in compliance with the extant rules of engagement.

    “The good people of Baga town and indeed the entire Borno State are enjoined to continue to provide credible information that will assist the security agencies to successfully combat terrorism as well as apprehend and flush out the perpetrators of the attack,” he said. (NAN)