x

Threat to Journalist’s Life Case Suffers Setback in Kaduna Court

…As Police Blame MTN for Delay in Retrieving Audio Evidence

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

A case involving an alleged threat to the life of investigative journalist Idibia Gabriel has suffered a setback at a Magistrate Court in Sabon Tasha, Kaduna, following the inability of the police to present an audio recording purportedly containing the threat.

Gabriel had reported Victor Balogun, a hotelier and owner of De Jay’s Hotel located in Ungwan Boro, to the police for allegedly threatening him over a news report about a security raid on his hotel by a task force.

The Sabon Tasha Divisional Police Headquarters had earlier invited Balogun for questioning, obtained his statement alongside that of the complainant, and promised to investigate the matter. Although the suspect admitted calling the journalist regarding the report, he denied issuing any threats during the conversation.

Despite several follow-ups, the police reportedly charged the case to court without obtaining the alleged threat’s audio recording from the MTN Nigeria Communications Network, which was expected to serve as key evidence.

When the matter came up on Monday, October 6, 2025, the police were still unable to tender the audio evidence before the court, stalling the commencement of the trial. The defendant was also absent. The case was subsequently adjourned to October 24, 2025 for hearing.

Contacted for comments, the Kaduna State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, attributed the delay in obtaining the audio evidence to procedural issues with MTN but assured that efforts were ongoing to resolve the matter.

“The delay is due to protocol challenges with MTN, but the police are still working to retrieve the required evidence,” Hassan said.

Private chats obtained between the journalist and the police spokesman indicated that Gabriel had repeatedly followed up on the matter, urging the authorities to prevent the suspect from tampering with evidence. The PPRO had replied briefly, acknowledging receipt of the messages.

Similarly, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Sabon Tasha Division confirmed that the division had done its part and escalated the case to the state headquarters for further action, assuring that progress was being made.

Efforts by the journalist to meet the MTN Kaduna Regional Manager were unsuccessful, as he was reportedly unavailable during multiple visits.

The journalist has appealed to relevant authorities, civil society organizations, and media unions to intervene and ensure justice is served, emphasizing that “an injury to one journalist is an injury to all.”

Gabriel had alleged that the suspect warned him to retract or “water down” a published report on the security raid, which authorities had said targeted criminal elements allegedly linked to the hotel.

Hot this week

Priyanka Chopra Jonas Addresses Stunt Speculation in The Bluff

Priyanka Chopra Jonas has responded to speculation about her...

Political Stalwarts in Ukwa East Defect to Labour Party

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuThe in has recorded a fresh...

GPF and Nigerian Faith Leaders Call for Urgent Action on Rising Violence

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaFaith and community leaders from Nigeria...

TCN MD Urges Unified HR Policy Implementation Across 10 Regions

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the...

Lagos Court Sentences Man to One Year in Prison for N37m Forex Fraud

The Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, has...

Gov Eno’s late wife’s Foundation empowers 53,000 in A’ibom

By Ogenyi Ogenyi,UyoAt least persons in Akwa Ibom has...

China Dazzles the World with Its Spring Festival

Olalekan A. BabatundeAs the lunar calendar ushered in the...

Gov Eno’s Late Wife’s Foundation Empowers 53,987 in Akwa Ibom

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, UyoNo fewer than 53,987 persons have...

Community Self-Defense Groups in Nigeria: Solution or Future Security Risk?

By Daudu Agaba Andrew SamuelAs insecurity continues to stretch...

Three Years of Impactful Services: Hazras Charity Foundation

By Abdullateef Abdulkadir.On the 15th of February, 2026, Hazras...

Motorists, Road Users Seek Increased Funding for (FERMA)

By Jabiru HassanMotorists and other road users have called...

FHQ Dominates 15th BIPOGA Swimming Competition With 15 Gold Medals

By Anne AzukaThe Police Force Headquarters (FHQ) dominated the...

BIPOGA: Zone 17 Wins 4x400m Relay in Female, Male Categories

By Anne AzukaZone 17 has emerged champion in both...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img