x

Trump orders U.S. Navy to destroy Iranian gunboats

President Donald Trump, on Wednesday said he had directed the U.S. Navy to “shoot down and destroy” Iranian gunboats that “harass our ships at sea”.

Trump said this in a Twitter post, a week after a reported confrontation between Iranian and American vessels in the Persian Gulf.

On April 15, the U.S. Navy accused Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of “dangerous and provocative actions” against six of its ships.

The navy said the vessels were taking part in a military exercise with U.S. Army Apache attack helicopters in international waters at the time.

The U.S. Fifth Fleet later released a video footage of the encounter, which showed the gunboats circling a bigger U.S. ship.

But the IRGC dismissed the accusation as a “Hollywood version” of the incident, which it said was provoked by the U.S.

In a statement, the corps stated that U.S. forces started it by blocking one of its ships in two separate incidents in early April.

The IRGC said it had to increase patrol in the Gulf after the U.S. Navy exhibited “dangerous behaviour while ignoring warnings”, adding that it would respond “decisively” to any act of provocation.

It published its own video of the encounter which showed the IRGC vessels loitering around the American boats for an hour, before leaving.

Reports say the April 15 incident came after suspected armed IRGC operatives seized a Hong Kong-flagged tanker in the Gulf of Oman, redirected it onto Iranian waters, and the released it.

Both countries came close to a war in January after the U.S. killed a top Iranian General, Qassem Soleimani, in a drone strike in Baghdad, Iraq.

Trump had accused Soleimani of spearheading a series of Iranian-sponsored attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq.

But tensions had been high in the Persian Gulf since last summer when the U.S. and its western allies blamed Iran for a series of sabotage attacks on oil assets in the region.

Consequently, U.S.-led naval patrols were intensified, and American troops and air defense systems were sent to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. 

Trump said this in a Twitter post, a week after a reported confrontation between Iranian and American vessels in the Persian Gulf.

On April 15, the U.S. Navy accused Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of “dangerous and provocative actions” against six of its ships.

The navy said the vessels were taking part in a military exercise with U.S. Army Apache attack helicopters in international waters at the time.

The U.S. Fifth Fleet later released a video footage of the encounter, which showed the gunboats circling a bigger U.S. ship.

But the IRGC dismissed the accusation as a “Hollywood version” of the incident, which it said was provoked by the U.S.

In a statement, the corps stated that U.S. forces started it by blocking one of its ships in two separate incidents in early April.

The IRGC said it had to increase patrol in the Gulf after the U.S. Navy exhibited “dangerous behaviour while ignoring warnings”, adding that it would respond “decisively” to any act of provocation.

It published its own video of the encounter which showed the IRGC vessels loitering around the American boats for an hour, before leaving.

Reports say the April 15 incident came after suspected armed IRGC operatives seized a Hong Kong-flagged tanker in the Gulf of Oman, redirected it onto Iranian waters, and the released it.

Both countries came close to a war in January after the U.S. killed a top Iranian General, Qassem Soleimani, in a drone strike in Baghdad, Iraq.

Trump had accused Soleimani of spearheading a series of Iranian-sponsored attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq.

But tensions had been high in the Persian Gulf since last summer when the U.S. and its western allies blamed Iran for a series of sabotage attacks on oil assets in the region.

Consequently, U.S.-led naval patrols were intensified, and American troops and air defense systems were sent to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. 

Hot this week

El-rufai must return every Kobo he allegedly looted in Kaduna- Sen. Shehu Sani

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe Senator representing Kaduna Central...

Wildlife Journalist Urges Action Over Migratory Bat Killings in Kaduna

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaA wildlife journalist has called on...

Relief for Former Councillors in Abia as Payment of Arrears Begins

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuFormer councillors who served in local...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

Ramadan, Lent: 90 Convicts Freed in Kaduna as Gov Sani Calls for Unity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaGovernor of has approved the release...

FHQ Dominates 15th BIPOGA Swimming Competition With 15 Gold Medals

By Anne AzukaThe Police Force Headquarters (FHQ) dominated the...

BIPOGA: Zone 17 Wins 4x400m Relay in Female, Male Categories

By Anne AzukaZone 17 has emerged champion in both...

Nigeria national football team 2026 WCQ Campaign Over on Pitch, FIFA Case Still Pending

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have officially concluded their on-field journey...

Ogun State Police Command Detain TikToker Mirabel Over Alleged False Assault Claim

Popular Nigerian TikTok personality Mirabel has been taken into...

Manchester City F.C. Face Uncertain Future Amid 115-Charge Case

Premier League champions Manchester City remain embroiled in a...

Kogi Govt Hails Tinubu Over Faleke’s Appointment, Describes It as Strategic Masterstroke

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Government has expressed...

Stephen Keshi Stadium to Host BIPOGA Football Final as Zone 10 Face Zone 4

By Anne AzukaThe final of the male football event...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img