Connect with us

News

UUTH Crisis: CMD Faults EFCC Raid, Appeals to Doctors to Resume Duty

Published

on

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, Uyo

The Chief Medical Director of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), Ememabasi Bassey, has appealed to doctors and the leadership of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) to suspend the ongoing industrial action at the hospital, warning that continued disruption of medical services could endanger patients’ lives.

Prof. Bassey made the appeal during a press conference in Uyo on Wednesday while reacting to Tuesday’s controversial operation by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at the hospital over an investigation involving an alleged fake medical report.

Tension erupted at the hospital on Tuesday, May 12, after armed EFCC operatives reportedly stormed the facility in an attempt to arrest Eyo Ekpe, following delays in authenticating a medical report linked to an ongoing EFCC investigation.

The incident triggered protests by doctors and hospital workers, who accused the operatives of invading the hospital with armed personnel, firing tear gas, and assaulting staff members, leading to a shutdown of medical services.

Reports from the hospital indicated that shortly after the incident and the subsequent stop-work action by medical personnel, a middle-aged man allegedly died at the Accident and Emergency Unit, causing panic among patients and relatives.

Speaking on the development, Prof. Bassey urged unions and healthcare workers to consider the condition of patients who rely on the hospital for treatment.

“I want to appeal to the leadership of the NMA and the unions to consider the lives of innocent patients who may lose their lives if left unattended. The stoppage of work does not benefit the perpetrators of the act in any way,” he said.

The CMD described UUTH as the only publicly accessible federal tertiary health institution in Akwa Ibom State, noting that the facility attends to between 600 and 800 patients daily.

According to him, the crisis began after the EFCC requested authentication of a medical report allegedly issued by the hospital in respect of a suspect under investigation.

Prof. Bassey said internal investigations later revealed that the document was fake and had been issued using an outdated hospital letterhead. He added that the doctor whose name appeared on the report was not attached to the department listed in the document.

“We discovered that some actors had opened a fake folder with no official documentation and issued a fake medical report,” he stated.

The CMD further disclosed that Prof. Ekpe had already prepared a draft response confirming the report was fake before EFCC operatives allegedly stormed his office and attempted to arrest him.

“At no point did the operatives formally notify hospital management or present any arrest warrant before attempting to drag out a professor from his office,” Bassey alleged.

While acknowledging the EFCC’s anti-corruption mandate, the CMD urged security agencies to observe professionalism and proper rules of engagement when operating within health institutions.

“This hospital is a place of last resort for millions of citizens. It is a hallowed ground, not a place for violent operations that could endanger patients and healthcare workers,” he added.

Also speaking, Prof. Ekpe alleged that he was forcibly dragged from his office by armed operatives despite informing them that he neither authored the medical report nor was a suspect in the investigation.

He further claimed that some hospital workers sustained injuries during the operation as panic spread across the facility following the alleged firing of tear gas and gunshots.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Kefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba

Published

on

By

By Aga Samuel Imoter, Jalingo

Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas has urged Christian leaders to defend truth, speak to political authorities when necessary and promote peace and moral values amid the social, economic and security challenges facing the country. Kefas made the call on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while addressing participants at the Ministers’ Conference organised by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Taraba State Chapter, in Jalingo.

The conference, themed “The Church and the State: Partners in God’s Plan in a Changing World,” brought together Christian ministers and leaders to discuss the role of the Church in nation-building, peacebuilding and good governance. The governor said government and the Church have distinct constitutional and spiritual responsibilities but could collaborate in areas that promote peace, development and social stability.

He urged Christian leaders to uphold truth, compassion, justice and moral discipline while advising political authorities without allowing partisan interests to compromise the Church’s independence. “The Church must not become an extension of any political party,” Kefas said, urging ministers to provide constructive guidance and resist divisions based on politics, ethnicity or personal interests.

Kefas also called on religious leaders to use their platforms to discourage corruption, drug abuse, violence, hatred and injustice, while encouraging young people to pursue legitimate opportunities. He assured residents that his administration would continue to promote fairness, justice and peaceful coexistence while protecting citizens’ rights and freedom of worship.

The governor also expressed readiness to deepen collaboration with religious institutions in education, peacebuilding, community development and efforts to address drug abuse. He appealed to citizens and religious leaders to embrace unity and forgiveness, saying the development of Taraba required collective responsibility.

Continue Reading

News

Kaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse

Published

on

By

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command will hold a three-day Police–Youth Engagement Programme from Thursday, August 20, to Saturday, August 22, 2026, as part of activities to mark International Youth Day and strengthen community efforts to prevent crime and promote peace.

The programme, themed “Different Contexts, Common Aspirations,” will bring together police officers, youths, community leaders, youth organisations and other stakeholders.In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, said the initiative was in line with a directive by the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, to deepen engagement between the police and young people.

According to the Command, activities will include a Walkathon/Peace Walk aimed at promoting unity, healthy living and responsible citizenship. A medical outreach will also provide basic healthcare services and health awareness to young people and community members.

The programme will conclude with a lecture and interactive session addressing crime prevention, cultism, drug abuse, political and digital thuggery, responsible social media use, youth participation in community policing and emerging security challenges.

The Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, CP Rabiu Muhammad, urged youths, community leaders and other stakeholders to participate actively in the programme. He called on participants to support efforts to promote peace, unity, responsible citizenship and a safer Kaduna State.

Continue Reading

News

FUL Matriculates 900 Postgraduate Students, Reaffirms Commitment to Research

Published

on

By

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

The Federal University Lokoja (FUL) has matriculated 900 postgraduate students for the 2025/2026 academic session, with the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ggenga Solomon Ibileye, reaffirming the institution’s commitment to expanding postgraduate opportunities and strengthening its research culture. Ibileye made the commitment during the postgraduate matriculation ceremony held at the university’s permanent site in Lokoja.

The Vice-Chancellor said research remained central to the value of postgraduate education and stressed the university’s commitment to maintaining and improving its academic standards.

He said postgraduate students would undergo prescribed coursework and examinations, while their projects, theses and dissertations would be subjected to originality and similarity checks. According to him, students would also be required to defend research proposals, participate in internal seminars and submit their work to external examiners.

“These processes ensure that the certificate eventually conferred by the university is worth the years a candidate will spend earning it,” he said. Ibileye said the university currently offers postgraduate programmes at the Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctor of Philosophy levels, covering both professional and academic disciplines.

He commended the Provost of the postgraduate college, Prof. Matthew Ola-Rotimi Ajayi, for his leadership and expressed confidence that the institution’s academic standards would continue to improve. The Vice-Chancellor congratulated the new students and welcomed them to the postgraduate scholarly community of the university.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.