x

30 killed, many abducted in bandit attack on Niger market

No fewer than 30 people were killed and several others abducted on Saturday when suspected bandits attacked a village market in Kabe District, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.

The assailants, believed to be operating from the Kainji Lake National Park, reportedly invaded Kasuwan Daji market in Demo village via Kabe, setting the market ablaze, looting food items and wares, and shooting at villagers before fleeing with abducted victims into the surrounding forest.

Confirming the incident in a statement on Sunday, the Niger State Police Command said a joint security team had visited the scene, while investigations and rescue efforts were ongoing.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, the attack occurred on January 3, 2026.

“On 03/01/2026 at about 9 p.m., information was received that at about 4:30 p.m. of the same day, suspected bandits from the National Park forest along Kabe District invaded Kasuwan Daji, located at Demo village via Kabe, burnt the market, looted shops and carted away food items,” Abiodun said.

He added that a follow-up report indicated heavy casualties.

“On 04/01/2026 at about 8 a.m., a joint security team visited the scene and over 30 persons were confirmed dead during the attack. Some persons were also kidnapped. Efforts are ongoing to rescue the kidnapped victims, while further developments will be communicated,” he said.

The attack adds to a series of violent incidents linked to bandit groups in Niger State.

On November 21, 2025, gunmen abducted more than 300 pupils and students from St. Mary’s Private Catholic Primary and Secondary School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area. The attackers reportedly arrived on motorcycles in the early hours of the day and spent several hours abducting students and teachers from the school dormitories.

In the aftermath, about 50 pupils escaped within the first 24 hours, while the Federal Government later secured the release of others. On December 21, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, announced that all remaining abducted pupils of the Papiri school had been freed.

Hot this week

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Nnamdi Kanu: ‘Very Useless Guy’ – Chiefpriest Blasts Fayose Over Comment on Igbos’ Alliance With Tinubu

Nigerian socialite, Okechukwu Pascal, popularly known as Chiefpriest, has...

El-Rufai Alleges Attempted Arrest by Security Operatives at Abuja Airport

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai was allegedly confronted...

A’Ibom Confident of April Target for Int’l Flights as VAIA Receives Boarding Bridges

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, UyoThe Government has expressed confidence that...

Chinese Embassy Rejects Allegations of Illegal Mining, Terror Financing in Nigeria

The Chinese Embassy in Nigeria has strongly refuted allegations...

Kaduna Governor Restores State-Sponsored Christian Pilgrimage After 11-Year Suspension

Christian leaders and intending pilgrims in Kaduna State have...

TCN MD Urges Unified HR Policy Implementation Across 10 Regions

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the...

Oborevwori Inspects Ugbolu–Okpanam, Oko Road Projects, Demands Quality and Timely Completion

Delta State Governor, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, has reaffirmed...

Tuomo Clan Gets Western Zone Backing for INC 1st Vice President Slot

Chief Ezonebi Oyakemeagbegha, outgoing Publicity Secretary of the Ijaw...

Igoche Mark Hails Tinubu’s Sports Reforms, Urges Private Sector Investment

Basketball promoter and founder of the Mark D’ Ball...

TSG DG Welcomes Gov Yusuf to APC, Backs Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda

The Director-General of the Tinubu Support Groups (TSG), Dr....

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img