x

Deborah: None of Our children Will go to School Again, says Parents

Mrs. Alheri Emmanuel, mother of Deborah, who was gruesomely murdered by a mob at Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, by her schoolmates last Thursday, has vowed never to allow any of her remaining seven children go to school again to avoid the fate that befell her promising daughter.

She spoke as the husband and father of the slain Deborah, Mr. Emmanuel Garba, declared that as a good Christian, he and the family had resolved not to seek any redress from court over the loss of their daughter but leave everything to God.

Their response came as Sokoto State government, yesterday, suspended resumption of schools by one week, following the protest that trailed the incident last Friday.

This is even as popular Islamic cleric, Sheikh Abubakar Gumi, yesterday flayed Deborah’s killing, saying Prophet Mohammed was insulted while alive but never killed anybody.

Also yesterday, northern governors and the Fellowship of Churches of Christ in Nigeria, TEKAN, condemned the killing, and sought justice for the slain student, even as Catholic Diocese of Sokoto dismissed reports that the residence of Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah was attacked.

Similarly, Igbo youths also, yesterday, bemoaned attacks on Igbo residents in Sokoto, despite not being party to the incident that led to the protest that rocked the city on Friday.

Deborah’s mother revealed that the family was blessed with eight children but noted that with the sad development, none of the seven surviving children would be allowed to go to school again in order to avoid a similar experience.

Mrs Alheri, in a heavy-laden voice, declared: “What has happened to me is my cross and I will surely carry it but non of my seven surviving children will go to school again.”

On what she wanted from the government, she simply said: “I don’t want anything from government. In fact, the family is not expecting anything from government. Almighty God will take control.”

Mrs. Alheri, who has just been discharged from hospital over the shock, however, said she was recuperating and assured that she would soon get out of the shock. Late Deborah was the eldest of the eight children of her parents.

Also her father, Mr Garba Emmanuel, corroborated his wife’s declaration that the family would not go to court over the killing.

Speaking in Hausa, he said in a shaky voice: “The family will not go to court over the matter. Go to court to challenge human being or Almighty God over the issue? This is completely ruled out. God does not sleep. He knows what to do at the appropriate time and as the creator of everybody, we leave the case for Him to judge.

“Certainly, it is a big cross to bear but what can we do than to carry the cross and accept our fate in all totality as it has come.

“Beside receiving the shock over the gruesome death of my daughter, I had another bitter experience to go and personally transport her corpse from Sokoto to Niger State. It was the saddest moment of my life to go and pick the corpse of my daughter and brought her home in a chartered bus, for which I paid N120,000.

“I pleaded at the hospital that since the corpse had been burnt, they should help me with the remains, so it doesn’t decompose completely for us to bury her.

“I also pleaded with the DSS and they reasoned along with me and agreed to release her remains to me after signing some documents. Which moment can be as sad as this in one’s life? However, it is all over and it has become history.”

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

FG setup LOC Guinness World boxing championship fight 3 times but…Host revealed 

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna Federal Government of Nigeria has, on...

SENATOR LALONG INAUGURATES PROJECTS IN PLATEAU SOUTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT 

Senator representing Plateau South Senatorial District Simon Bako Lalong...

The Kogi East Zonal VC of APC, late Hon. Mikhail Mohammed laid to rest in Odu

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi East Zonal Vice Chairman...

Plateau South Senator Lalong inaugurates projects in his Senatorial district 

By Israel Adamu,JosSenator representing Plateau South Senatorial District Simon...

KOGI YOUTHS CALL ANTI-AKPOTI-UDUAGHAN’S CAMPAIGNERS ENEMIES OF DEMOCRACY

·     URGE NIGERIANS TO IGNORE ODODO, FANWO·     MOVE TO PREVENT KOGI...

NATIONAL POLICE DAY: SOKOTO  POLICE COMMAND  CELEBRATE DAY

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto In continuation to mark National Police...

Tinubu political adviser, Hakeem Baba Ahmed resigns from.office 

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaDr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the political adviser...

PLATEAU APC LEADER SENATOR LALONG HOLDS MORE ENGAGEMENTS WITH STAKEHOLDERS 

Senator representing Plateau South Senatorial District Simon Bako Lalong...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img