Connect with us

News

Oyo Kidnap: Abducted Principal Denies Bandits Demanded Sharia Law

Published

on

By Abigail David

Fresh protests erupted in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, on Monday as residents demanded the release of more than 40 pupils and their teachers abducted from three schools in Oriire Local Government Area nearly a month ago.

The victims, including pupils and teachers from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele, were kidnapped during coordinated attacks on May 15, 2026, and have remained in captivity.

The latest demonstration came as the abducted principal of Community High School, Rachael Alamu, appeared in a viral video from captivity, disputing reports that the kidnappers were demanding the introduction of Sharia law or a ransom for their release.

In the emotional appeal, Alamu urged Nigerians to disregard what she described as false claims and to help publicise the victims’ plight.

According to her, the abductors have neither forced the captives to practise any religion nor demanded money or the implementation of Sharia law.

She alleged that the kidnappers’ primary demand was the release of some of their detained associates and appealed to the government to engage in negotiations to secure the freedom of the hostages.

Alamu also pleaded with authorities and the public not to politicise the situation, saying misleading reports could further endanger the lives of those in captivity.

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters blocked major roads in Ogbomoso on Monday, causing traffic disruptions as they called on the Federal and Oyo State governments to intensify efforts to rescue the victims.

One of the protesters, Kehinde Dahunsi, questioned why the authorities had been unable to secure the release of the abducted pupils and teachers after more than three weeks in captivity, while other recent kidnapping victims were rescued within days.

The abduction has sparked widespread outrage, with the Nigerian Union of Teachers directing its members across Oyo State to embark on a strike until the victims are rescued. Protests have also been held in several parts of the country to demand urgent government action.

The prolonged captivity of the schoolchildren and teachers has heightened concerns over insecurity and the safety of educational institutions across the state.

News

Kefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba

Published

on

By

By Aga Samuel Imoter, Jalingo

Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas has urged Christian leaders to defend truth, speak to political authorities when necessary and promote peace and moral values amid the social, economic and security challenges facing the country. Kefas made the call on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while addressing participants at the Ministers’ Conference organised by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Taraba State Chapter, in Jalingo.

The conference, themed “The Church and the State: Partners in God’s Plan in a Changing World,” brought together Christian ministers and leaders to discuss the role of the Church in nation-building, peacebuilding and good governance. The governor said government and the Church have distinct constitutional and spiritual responsibilities but could collaborate in areas that promote peace, development and social stability.

He urged Christian leaders to uphold truth, compassion, justice and moral discipline while advising political authorities without allowing partisan interests to compromise the Church’s independence. “The Church must not become an extension of any political party,” Kefas said, urging ministers to provide constructive guidance and resist divisions based on politics, ethnicity or personal interests.

Kefas also called on religious leaders to use their platforms to discourage corruption, drug abuse, violence, hatred and injustice, while encouraging young people to pursue legitimate opportunities. He assured residents that his administration would continue to promote fairness, justice and peaceful coexistence while protecting citizens’ rights and freedom of worship.

The governor also expressed readiness to deepen collaboration with religious institutions in education, peacebuilding, community development and efforts to address drug abuse. He appealed to citizens and religious leaders to embrace unity and forgiveness, saying the development of Taraba required collective responsibility.

Continue Reading

News

Kaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse

Published

on

By

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command will hold a three-day Police–Youth Engagement Programme from Thursday, August 20, to Saturday, August 22, 2026, as part of activities to mark International Youth Day and strengthen community efforts to prevent crime and promote peace.

The programme, themed “Different Contexts, Common Aspirations,” will bring together police officers, youths, community leaders, youth organisations and other stakeholders.In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, said the initiative was in line with a directive by the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, to deepen engagement between the police and young people.

According to the Command, activities will include a Walkathon/Peace Walk aimed at promoting unity, healthy living and responsible citizenship. A medical outreach will also provide basic healthcare services and health awareness to young people and community members.

The programme will conclude with a lecture and interactive session addressing crime prevention, cultism, drug abuse, political and digital thuggery, responsible social media use, youth participation in community policing and emerging security challenges.

The Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, CP Rabiu Muhammad, urged youths, community leaders and other stakeholders to participate actively in the programme. He called on participants to support efforts to promote peace, unity, responsible citizenship and a safer Kaduna State.

Continue Reading

News

FUL Matriculates 900 Postgraduate Students, Reaffirms Commitment to Research

Published

on

By

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

The Federal University Lokoja (FUL) has matriculated 900 postgraduate students for the 2025/2026 academic session, with the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Ggenga Solomon Ibileye, reaffirming the institution’s commitment to expanding postgraduate opportunities and strengthening its research culture. Ibileye made the commitment during the postgraduate matriculation ceremony held at the university’s permanent site in Lokoja.

The Vice-Chancellor said research remained central to the value of postgraduate education and stressed the university’s commitment to maintaining and improving its academic standards.

He said postgraduate students would undergo prescribed coursework and examinations, while their projects, theses and dissertations would be subjected to originality and similarity checks. According to him, students would also be required to defend research proposals, participate in internal seminars and submit their work to external examiners.

“These processes ensure that the certificate eventually conferred by the university is worth the years a candidate will spend earning it,” he said. Ibileye said the university currently offers postgraduate programmes at the Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctor of Philosophy levels, covering both professional and academic disciplines.

He commended the Provost of the postgraduate college, Prof. Matthew Ola-Rotimi Ajayi, for his leadership and expressed confidence that the institution’s academic standards would continue to improve. The Vice-Chancellor congratulated the new students and welcomed them to the postgraduate scholarly community of the university.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.