News
Tinubu Explains Why Security Forces Targeted Families of Oyo Kidnappers
By Abigail David
President Bola Tinubu has said the Federal Government refused to negotiate with or pay ransom to the kidnappers who abducted pupils and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, insisting that security agencies instead relied on intelligence-led operations to secure the victims’ release.
Speaking on Thursday while receiving the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, and other Oyo traditional rulers at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Tinubu said the kidnappers demanded ransom and the release of detained gang members, but the government rejected the conditions.
According to the President, security agencies intensified operations by tracking the criminals and their networks, leading to the successful rescue of the victims after 56 days in captivity without paying ransom.
Tinubu commended the armed forces for the operation, describing it as a major success achieved through intelligence gathering and a detailed understanding of the terrain.
The President said the incident informed his decision to expand the Nigerian Army from eight to 12 divisions, explaining that the move is intended to improve response times and strengthen the country’s capacity to combat terrorism and banditry.
He also reaffirmed plans to establish state police with safeguards against abuse and announced that forest guards would be retrained and equipped to support security operations in forests and remote communities.
Tinubu urged traditional rulers to encourage residents to provide timely information on suspicious activities, stressing that community intelligence remains vital to addressing insecurity.
He also called on state governments to prioritise road construction to improve access for security agencies and enhance economic development.
Speaking on behalf of the delegation, Oba Ladoja thanked the President and the armed forces for securing the release of the abducted pupils and teachers. He also expressed appreciation for ongoing federal road projects in Oyo State, describing them as critical to improving connectivity and economic activities.
The Oriire abduction occurred on May 15, 2026, when gunmen attacked three schools and abducted about 39 pupils and seven teachers. The victims were rescued on July 10 in an intelligence-led operation that authorities said was carried out without the payment of ransom.
News
ASUU Commends Kaduna Govt Over KASU Funding Amid Face-Off
By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter, has commended the Kaduna State Government for addressing some of the longstanding challenges confronting the institution, amid a face-off over alleged resignation of some members.
The chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, made the remarks at a press briefing in Kaduna on Wednesday regarding the union’s ultimatum to the state government over what it described as poor working conditions and other challenges affecting the university.
Abdullahi, in a statement made available on Thursday, said the union’s position was not intended to castigate the government, but to draw its attention to areas requiring further intervention to strengthen the institution.
He acknowledged some steps already taken by the present administration, saying the union would continue to commend the government whenever it addressed issues affecting the university.
“Where you have done something, we commend you, and where there is an issue, we bring it to your attention to address,” he said.
Government addresses some issues
The chairman recalled that the government had addressed some of the issues contained in previous agreements with the union, including matters relating to salaries and allowances.
According to him, out of about 10 issues previously presented by the union, three had been addressed, while seven remained outstanding.
He said the union was particularly encouraged by the government’s review of a previous decision on school fees, recalling that ASUU had opposed the increase because of its potential impact on students.
“When the current government came about, they reviewed the decision and we commend them for that,” he said.
ASUU’s broader role
Abdullahi stressed that ASUU’s interventions were not limited to the welfare of its members, but were aimed at protecting the university system and ensuring that tertiary education in Kaduna State remained competitive.
He said the union considered its responsibilities to include teaching, research and community service.
The chairman also praised KASU’s achievements, saying the institution had performed creditably compared with other universities despite the challenges confronting it.
He described KASU as an institution that could serve Kaduna State for generations if properly supported.
“Roads would come and go. Physical infrastructure would not live more than 30 to 50 years. But KASU is an institution we hope and pray will still be here for the next 100 or 200 years,” he said.
He added that the university had started on “the very right footing” and had recorded achievements that compared favourably with established universities.
“I am not even talking about state universities. Federally established universities, first-generation universities, we go to places and we beat them, hands down,” Abdullahi said.
He therefore called for sustained government support, improved staff welfare and proper funding to enable the institution to retain its academic workforce and maintain its standards.
Union prefers dialogue
On the two-week ultimatum, Abdullahi clarified that the union was not eager to embark on industrial action, stressing that dialogue remained its preferred option.
“Usually, people have this wrong notion that ASUU always wants to embark on strike. That is not our desire or passion,” he said.
According to him, the purpose of the briefing was to bring the challenges to the attention of the government and the public in the hope that they would be resolved before the ultimatum expired.
He said ASUU remained ready for dialogue with the government at any time, stressing that peace and stability in the university were in the interest of all stakeholders.
“Even if the government calls us now, we are ready to move. Anything that will bring peace to the system, stability, that is what we want,” he said.
Call for implementation of agreement
Abdullahi also urged the government to implement the new Federal Government-ASUU agreement, saying its provisions could benefit both university staff and the administration through improved funding and management.
He appealed to the state government to see the outstanding challenges as an opportunity to strengthen KASU and leave a lasting legacy in the education sector.
“The government has the opportunity to write its name in gold by actually fixing a problem system they inherited,” he said.
The ASUU-KASU chairman said Kaduna, traditionally recognised as a centre of learning, should remain at the forefront of educational development and should not allow other states to overtake it in the sector.
News
Hon. Jafaru Yakubu Commends President Tinubu’s Approval of Mutum Biyu–Garba Chede Road Reconstruction
Hon. Jafaru Yakubu, Member of the House of Representatives and Chairman, House Committee on Nigeria–China Friendship Group, has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR for granting approval for the urgent rehabilitation and total reconstruction of the Mutum Biyu–Garba Chede Road, a 48km stretch in Taraba State.
Yakubu, who sponsored the motion in the House of Representatives calling for immediate intervention on the road, said the President’s approval is a bold and strategic response to the plight of commuters and communities along the corridor. He explained that the motion, which was debated and adopted by the House, underscored the dangers of continued neglect, including accidents, economic disruption, and the risk of total collapse.
He further acknowledged the National Security Adviser (NSA) Mallam Nuhu Ribadu for adopting a non-kinetic approach in addressing the crisis. According to Yakubu, the NSA’s intervention elevated the urgency of the project, treating infrastructure development as a vital instrument of peace, security, and stability. By drawing national attention to the road’s deterioration, the NSA highlighted the grave risks posed to lives, trade, agriculture, and access to healthcare.
The Mutum Biyu–Garba Chede Road, constructed in the early 1980s, has deteriorated severely due to age and lack of maintenance. With the collapse of the Namnai Bridge along the Jalingo–Wukari highway, the road became the sole alternative route for heavy-duty trucks, worsening its condition and exposing communities to untold hardship.
Hon. Yakubu assured his constituents that he will continue to work closely with the Federal Ministry of Works, FERMA, and the North East Development Commission to ensure the project’s swift execution. He emphasized that the House Committee on Works has already been mandated to conduct oversight and report back within four weeks, a step he believes will guarantee transparency and accountability in the delivery of the project.
“As Chairman of the Nigeria–China Friendship Group, I am deeply conscious of the importance of strategic partnerships in advancing national development. This reconstruction is not merely about infrastructure—it is about saving lives, strengthening commerce, and reaffirming government’s duty to serve its people. On behalf of my constituency, I extend profound gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR and the NSA for their steadfast commitment,” Yakubu declared.
The approval of this project, following Yakubu’s sponsored motion, is widely seen as a demonstration of leadership that listens and acts decisively. For communities in Mutum Biyu, Garba Chede, and adjoining areas, the reconstruction represents hope for safer travel, renewed economic activity, and restored dignity after years of neglect.
Analysts note that the development is not just about fixing a road but about reconnecting people, boosting agriculture, and reinforcing national cohesion at a time when infrastructure remains central to Nigeria’s growth agenda.
News
Kaduna varsity lecturers ready for talks with govt to avert strike
By Abigail David
The Kaduna State University chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities says it is ready for immediate negotiations with the Kaduna State Government to resolve the lingering issues threatening industrial harmony at the institution.
The Chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, said this at a press conference on Thursday at the ASUU secretariat in Kaduna, stressing that the union was prepared to meet with the government at any time.
He said its priority was to find lasting solutions to the problems confronting the university.
He said, “Even if government calls us now, we are ready to move. Anything that will bring peace and stability to the system is what we want. Even if it is 3am, wherever we are, we are ready to go and engage and find solutions to the problems.”
Abdullahi explained that the two-week ultimatum issued by the union followed a directive from its national leadership, but expressed optimism that dialogue with the state government would yield concrete solutions before the expiration of the ultimatum.
He said the union was not interested in shutting down the university, noting that industrial action would negatively affect lecturers, students and the institution.
According to him, “We don’t want to go on strike. We don’t want to shut down the university because we know the implications. We want peace and stability in the university.”
The chairman identified the implementation and domestication of the 2025 Federal Government-ASUU agreement as the union’s major demand, saying the agreement was designed to address issues of staff welfare and conditions of service in Nigerian universities.
He said, “Our major concern is the implementation of the 2025 agreement. If the agreement is implemented, it will go a long way in addressing the welfare of our members and some of the challenges facing the university.”
Abdullahi recalled that the union had previously embarked on industrial action over 10 issues, adding that three had since been addressed by the authorities
He commended the authorities for resolving the three issues but said seven others remained outstanding, noting that the union had continued to pursue them through dialogue for nearly two years.
He said, “We have 10 issues that we raised before. Three have been addressed and we appreciate the government for that. But seven are still outstanding and we have been engaging for almost two years.”
The Press reports that the development followed the two-week ultimatum issued by ASUU-KASU amid concerns over the departure of academic staff from the university and the non-implementation of the 2025 Federal Government-ASUU agreement.
The union had warned that failure to address its demands could lead to a total and indefinite strike.
The union had also raised concerns over other unresolved matters, including university autonomy, excessive workload, promotion arrears, death benefits, group life insurance, wage awards and pension remittances.
The crisis came to the fore after ASUU-KASU alleged that more than 200 academic staff, including professors, had left the institution over poor conditions of service and failure to implement the 2025 agreement.
However, the Kaduna State Government, through the Principal Private Secretary to Governor Uba Sani, Prof Bello Ayuba, on Wednesday expressed its readiness to engage the union in dialogue to prevent a strike.
Ayuba, while addressing a press conference, urged ASUU-KASU to embrace dialogue and established channels of engagement, assuring that the government was committed to resolving the issues and avoiding disruption of academic activities.
Abdullahi urged the state government and other stakeholders to seize the opportunity for renewed engagement, assuring that the union would negotiate in good faith.
He said, “Anything that will bring peace and stability to the system, we are ready for it. We are ready to sit down with government and find solutions to these problems.”
The chairman appealed to the government to urgently address the outstanding demands, saying this would help restore confidence among academic staff and avert disruption of academic activities at KASU.
-
News23 hours ago
KADSG Faults ADC Guber Candidate’s Criticism, Defends Sani’s Education Funding Records
-
News23 hours ago
24 Bandits Killed As Army, DSS, Vigilantes Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina Community, Rescue Victims
-
News16 hours agoMiddle Belt Forum Says 2031 Presidency Should Return to Region
-
News16 hours agoJigawa Governor Namadi Deserves More Recognition, Says Dr Hafiz Muktar
-
News16 hours agoKefas Urges Church Leaders to Defend Truth and Promote Peace in Taraba
-
News16 hours agoBenue Assembly Elects Peter Ipusu as New Majority Leader
-
Uncategorized11 hours agoADP Presidential Candidate Aliyu Bin Abbas Signs National Peace Accord
-
News16 hours agoKaduna Police to Hold Three-Day Youth Engagement Programme on Crime and Drug Abuse

You must be logged in to post a comment Login