Connect with us

Politics

OsunDecides2026: Tinubu Congratulated Adeleke Before INEC Declaration, Campaign Spokesperson Says

Published

on

By Abigail David

The spokesperson for the Imole Campaign Council, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has commended President Bola Tinubu for what he described as his role in ensuring a credible governorship election in Osun State.

Olajengbesi made the statement on Sunday shortly after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the August 15 election.

According to the campaign spokesperson, Tinubu called Adeleke to congratulate him before INEC formally announced the result.

Olajengbesi said the President’s alleged gesture demonstrated that political contests should not be treated as a do-or-die affair.

He also praised security agencies and the electorate, saying the election reflected the will of Osun voters.

Adeleke, who contested on the Accord Party platform, polled 511,067 votes to defeat his closest rival, All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes.

The governor won 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11. African Democratic Congress candidate Najeem Salaam finished third.

Olajengbesi said Adeleke’s victory represented a renewed mandate from the people and praised supporters for remaining committed to the governor during the campaign.

The election had been preceded by allegations and counter-allegations between the Accord Party and APC over security, political violence and electoral conduct.

Meanwhile, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has called on INEC, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to investigate allegations of vote-buying, voter intimidation, violence and other electoral offences linked to the election.

Politics

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Governorship Election

Published

on

By Abigail David

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the 2026 governorship election held across the state on Saturday.

Adeleke, who contested under the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat his closest challenger, All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate Bola Oyebamiji, who secured 444,815 votes.

The State Returning Officer, Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, announced the final result at about 7:24 a.m. on Sunday at the state collation centre.

Ogunwole subsequently declared Adeleke elected for another term after the governor secured victory in 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas.

Adeleke won in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo and Osogbo, among others.

Oyebamiji won 11 LGAs, including Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun.

INEC recorded 1,010,684 accredited voters, 1,005,800 total votes cast and 985,079 valid votes, while 20,721 votes were rejected.

The African Democratic Congress candidate, Najeem Salaam, finished third with 17,180 votes.

Declaring Adeleke the winner, Ogunwole said the governor had satisfied the requirements of the law and was therefore returned elected.

Continue Reading

Politics

Tinubu, Shettima Were Not Elected by Muslims Alone, Northern Christian Leader Says

Published

on

By Abigail David

Chairman of the Northern Christian Association (NCA), Rev. Joseph Hayab, has said President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima were elected with votes from Nigerians across religious communities, not Muslims alone.

Hayab made the remarks while reacting to comments by Islamic cleric Sheikh Sani Yahaya Jingir, who recently defended the Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket and urged Muslims to use their numerical strength to advance their political interests ahead of the 2027 elections.

Jingir also reportedly referred to Christians as “infidels” in a viral video, prompting criticism from Hayab.

Speaking on Channels Television, Hayab said the Tinubu-Shettima ticket received significant support from Christian-majority states during the 2023 presidential election.

He argued that the controversy was not simply about Muslims supporting Muslim candidates but about inflammatory statements that could deepen religious divisions.

Hayab criticised Jingir’s description of Christians, saying Nigerians should not be insulted or demeaned because of their faith.

He also expressed concern that the comments were made in the presence of political leaders who, according to him, did not publicly condemn the remarks.

The NCA chairman called on the Federal Government, political leaders and governors to state their positions on such rhetoric and take steps to prevent religious tensions from escalating.

Despite the controversy, Hayab said Christian leaders would continue engaging Muslims, government officials and other stakeholders through dialogue.

He also renewed his call for religion to be included in Nigeria’s national census, arguing that reliable demographic data could help address competing claims about religious population and influence.

Continue Reading

Politics

Fadahunsi Clarifies ‘Kill Accord’ Comment, Says He Meant Defeat Party With Votes

Published

on

By Abigail David

Senator Francis Fadahunsi, representing Osun East Senatorial District, has clarified his viral “Kill Accord” comment, saying he was referring to defeating the Accord Party at the ballot box and not promoting violence.

A video circulating on social media showed Fadahunsi speaking in Yoruba while addressing supporters in Ilesa ahead of the August 15, 2026, Osun governorship election. In the video, he appeared to urge supporters to “kill” the Accord Party and accused its members of attacking All Progressives Congress supporters.

However, in a statement issued by his media office on Tuesday, Fadahunsi said the comment was political and metaphorical, urging APC supporters to reject the Accord Party through lawful and democratic means.

The statement said the senator had never advocated violence, intimidation or physical attacks against Accord members or supporters of any political party.

Fadahunsi also urged political actors and voters to maintain peace before, during and after the election. He called on security agencies to remain professional and ensure voters could exercise their constitutional rights without fear or intimidation.

The senator maintained that elections should be decided by the people’s votes rather than force, adding that he remained committed to democratic values and a credible electoral process.

Meanwhile, the campaign council of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has called on the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, to investigate Fadahunsi’s comments and take appropriate action.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.