x

Trump formally notifies UN of US withdrawal from WHO

The United States has formally notified the United Nations of its withdrawal from the World Health Organization.

The withdrawal notification fulfils President Donald Trump’s vow in late May to terminate U.S. participation in the WHO.

The US president has repeatedly criticised the WHO over its response to the coronavirus pandemic and has accused it of bowing to Chinese influence.

However, the pullout won’t take effect until next year, meaning it could be rescinded under a new administration if circumstances change.

The withdrawal notice was sent to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday and will take effect in a year, on July 6, 2021, the US State Department and the United Nations said on Tuesday.

Under the terms of the withdrawal, the U.S. must meet its financial obligations to the WHO before it can be finalised.

The US, which is the agency’s largest donor and provides it with more than $400 million per year, currently owes the WHO some $200 million in current and past dues.

In late May, less than two weeks after warning the WHO that it had 30 days to reform or lose US support, Trump announced his administration was leaving the organisation due to what he said was its inadequate response to the initial outbreak of the coronavirus in China’s Wuhan province late last year.

Hot this week

EFCC Arraigns Two Over Alleged N143m Fraud in Benin City

By Wilfred FrancisThe Benin Zonal Directorate of the (EFCC)...

Zone 13 Dominates Cricket at BIPOGA as Shooting Event Begins in Asaba

By Anne AzukaZone 13 has taken an early lead...

NYA: A Platform for Young Nigerians to Defend Democracy – Youth President

By Jabiru HassanThe (NYA) has reaffirmed its commitment to...

Northern Citizens’ Group Slams El-Rufai Over NSA Phone-Tapping Claim

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe Northern Citizens’ Group has criticized...

Workers Dismiss Corruption Allegation Against NSITF CEO, Pass Vote of Confidence

The Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance, and...

FCT Area Council Polls: AMAC PDP Chairmanship Candidate Steps Down For APC Candidate

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuAhead of the Federal Capital Territory...

FCT Council Elections: Wike declares Friday Work Free

.. Restrict Movement From 8pm On Friday To 6pm...

Kano Assembly Speaker Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslim Faithful

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Kaduna Gov Uba Sani Pledges No Demolition Without Compensation

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKaduna State Governor, , has assured...

YDV Commends Tinubu’s Security Measures, Urges Increased Focus on Kwara State

The socio-political organization, (YDV), has commended President for his...

Union Newspapers Alleges El-Rufai Dragged Them to Court for Six Years Over N90bn Asset Report

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe has accused former Kaduna State...

FERMA Proposes ₦229.999 Billion 2026 Budget, Calls for Enhanced Legislative Support

By Jabiru HassanThe (FERMA) has submitted a proposed budget...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img