Connect with us

News

Benue Attack: Three Killed, Four Injured in Ukum Community

Published

on

By Isaac Kertyo, Makurdi

At least three people were reportedly killed and four others injured when suspected bandits attacked Aboajo village in Mbaterem Mbazum Council Ward, Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State. The Benue State Police Command confirmed the attack, which occurred at about 7am on Sunday, August 16, 2026.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Orchia Peter Aondongu, on behalf of Commissioner of Police Cletus Nwadiogbu, the command said the injured victims were rescued and taken to a medical facility for treatment.

The police said additional tactical and patrol teams had been deployed to the area to prevent further attacks and track down those responsible. “Four persons were killed in the attack while four others sustained machete injuries and were rescued to a medical facility for treatment,” the statement said.

The command assured residents that security operations were ongoing and that efforts were being intensified to apprehend the perpetrators. The latest incident adds to security concerns in parts of Benue, where attacks on rural communities have continued to raise concerns among residents and authorities.

News

Mbah Allocates Land for ITF Digital Fabrication Centre in Enugu

Published

on

By

By Israel Adamu, Jos

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the allocation of land in the state capital for the establishment of a Digital Fabrication Centre by the Industrial Training Fund, ITF.This was contained in a statement signed by Thomas Ngor, Director, Press and Public Relations, and made available to journalists in Jos at the weekend.

According to the statement, Mbah disclosed the approval when he received a delegation from the ITF, led by its Director-General, Dr Afiz Oluwatoyin Ogun, on a courtesy visit to the Government House, Enugu. The governor described the proposed centre as timely and in line with his administration’s vision of transforming Enugu into a leading destination for investment, innovation and technology-driven industrial development.

Mbah said the future of economic prosperity depended on deliberate investments in human capital and emerging technologies, noting that his administration had continued to create an enabling environment for innovation, enterprise and sustainable growth. He explained that the state government had made technical education compulsory in its basic education system, with emphasis on digital literacy, robotics and mechatronics to prepare young people for the future of work.

According to him, many traditional trades are now increasingly driven by digital technologies, making it imperative to equip young people with relevant technical competencies that would enable them to compete globally. The governor also disclosed that his administration had built smart schools across the state, equipped with robotics centres, mechatronics laboratories and other modern learning facilities.

He said the establishment of the ITF Digital Fabrication Centre would strengthen the state’s efforts to build a knowledge-based economy, promote innovation and local manufacturing, as well as create employment opportunities for the growing youth population.

Earlier, the ITF Director-General, Ogun, said he was mandated by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to upskill Nigerian artisans to international standards following his appointment as head of the Fund. He said the ITF had repositioned its technical and vocational skills development programmes through initiatives such as the Skill-Up Artisans, SUPA, programme, which is designed to train, certify and license Nigerian artisans to international standards.

Ogun disclosed that the Fund had already established a Digital Fabrication Centre in Ikeja, Lagos, with the capacity to produce more than 400 different products. He therefore requested the allocation of land in Enugu State for the establishment of a similar centre, saying the initiative would promote industrialisation, reduce dependence on imports and prepare Nigerians for opportunities in the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

The ITF boss also reaffirmed the Fund’s readiness to enter into Public-Private Partnerships, PPPs, to transform Nigeria’s artisanal ecosystem. He noted that digital technologies, including artificial intelligence, robotics and computer-aided manufacturing, were rapidly transforming the global economy, stressing the need for Nigeria to deliberately invest in upskilling its workforce to remain globally competitive.The statement added that the ITF delegation later embarked on a guided tour of facilities at one of the smart schools established by the Enugu State Government.

Continue Reading

News

Benue Attack: Three Killed, Four Injured in Ukum Communit

Published

on

By

By Isaac Kertyo, Makurdi

At least three people were reportedly killed and four others injured when suspected bandits attacked Aboajo village in Mbaterem Mbazum Council Ward, Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State. The Benue State Police Command confirmed the attack, which occurred at about 7am on Sunday, August 16, 2026.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Orchia Peter Aondongu, on behalf of Commissioner of Police Cletus Nwadiogbu, the command said the injured victims were rescued and taken to a medical facility for treatment.

The police said additional tactical and patrol teams had been deployed to the area to prevent further attacks and track down those responsible. “Four persons were killed in the attack while four others sustained machete injuries and were rescued to a medical facility for treatment,” the statement said.

The command assured residents that security operations were ongoing and that efforts were being intensified to apprehend the perpetrators. The latest incident adds to security concerns in parts of Benue, where attacks on rural communities have continued to raise concerns among residents and authorities.

Continue Reading

News

Wike Denies Lobbying for APC Presidential Campaign DG Position

Published

on

By

By Joyce Remi-Babayeju

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has denied reports that he is lobbying to become Director-General of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council ahead of the 2027 election.

Wike, through his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, described the reports as false, saying he had not discussed either the leadership or membership of the proposed campaign council with anyone.

The minister also reaffirmed his support for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s re-election bid, saying he would work to secure support for the President in Rivers State and the Federal Capital Territory without holding any position in the campaign council.

“I do not need to be the DG or even a member of the Presidential Campaign Council of Mr President’s political party to contribute my quota by ensuring that he wins handsomely in Rivers State and the FCT,” Wike said. He explained that he was currently outside Nigeria after spending more than 30 days commissioning projects, flagging off new ones and inspecting ongoing projects in the FCT.

Wike said that upon his return, his focus would remain on delivering the administration’s mandate under President Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda. He also said attention would be given to projects scheduled for commissioning in December and January.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.