x

BREAKING: NLC declares strike in Ogun over minimum wage

Workers in Ogun State have commenced a one-week warning strike over the failure of the government to implement the new minimum wage.

The State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Emmanuel Bankole, declared this after a three-hour closed-door meeting held between the leadership of organised labour and government officials which ended deadlock.

The workers had given the state government a 14-day ultimatum to commence the payment of new minimum wage failure of which they vowed to embark on the strike.

The ultimatum expired Wednesday.

The workers had earlier on Tuesday stormed the governor’s office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta to protest against the failure of the government to begin payment of the new minimum wage and pension reform bill among others.

The leadership of the organised labour which comprises NLC, Trade Union Congress and Joint Negotiating Council later went into a closed-door meeting with the government.

Addressing journalists after the meeting, Bankole said the meeting between the labour and government had ended in a deadlock, therefore, they decided to embark on a one-week strike.

According to Bankole, some of the demands included the abolition of the pension reform bill, the payment of gratuities, payment of an outstanding six years leave allowances, three years promotion and 134 months unpaid pension.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

PDP Chieftain Calls for EFCC Probe into Ebonyi Contract Racketeering

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in...

BREAKING: Kevin De Bruyne Confirms Manchester City Departure

Kevin De Bruyne has officially announced that he will...

Wike dismisses rumours of collapse, says its a political gimmick to divert attention

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nysome Wike on...

Ijoba Lande Reveals Payment After a Month on Set with Funke Akindele

Controversial Nollywood actor and comedian, Ijoba Lande, has shared...

Protesters Demand Suspension of FUOYE VC Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Protesters gathered at the Federal Ministry of Education in...

Six Nigerians Among 0.8% of World’s Black Billionaires – Forbes

Black billionaires remain a small fraction of the world’s...

JUST-IN: Court Stops Pro-Wike Rally In Bayelsa

A Bayelsa State High Court in Yenagoa has issued...

Trump Introduces $5M ‘Gold Card’ Visa Program

Aboard Air Force One on Thursday, U.S. President Donald...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img