x

Chinese man threatens to torch himself after virus cancels birthday

A man in southwest China doused himself with petrol and tied firecrackers around his waist because authorities cancelled his birthday banquet as a precaution against spreading the coronavirus. The Chongqing resident, a 59-year-old surnamed Wang, had planned to hold a banquet with 10 tables late last month, state news agency Xinhua reported Wednesday.

But with authorities across China restricting public gatherings to contain the outbreak, officials told Wang to cancel the party. Hundreds of millions of people across China face restrictions and interruptions to their lives due to efforts to contain the coronavirus outbreak, which has now infected more than 44,600 people and killed over 1,100.

Beijing’s municipal authorities announced last week that parties and group dinners at restaurants would be temporarily forbidden in the Chinese capital to prevent the spread of the virus.

After his party was cancelled, the Chongqing man showed up at a village committee office armed with firecrackers, which he tied around his waist, Xinhua said. He also poured gasoline on his chest and held out a lighter in an attempt to “scare and threaten the village committee into allowing the birthday party”. Local procurators filed charges of disorderly behaviour against Wang on Tuesday, Xinhua reported.

Hot this week

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Interfaith Dialogue and National Unity

By Francis WilfredPresident has reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to interfaith...

Excitement as Warri/Effurun Roads, Flyovers near completion

. Julius Berger works speedily ahead rainy seasonThere...

Kaduna AG Urges Christians to Engage in Politics Ahead of 2027 Elections

By Francis WilfredKaduna State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice,...

TCN MD Urges Unified HR Policy Implementation Across 10 Regions

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the...

FCT Area Council Polls: AMAC PDP Chairmanship Candidate Steps Down For APC Candidate

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuAhead of the Federal Capital Territory...

FCT Council Elections: Wike declares Friday Work Free

.. Restrict Movement From 8pm On Friday To 6pm...

Kano Assembly Speaker Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslim Faithful

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Kaduna Gov Uba Sani Pledges No Demolition Without Compensation

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKaduna State Governor, , has assured...

YDV Commends Tinubu’s Security Measures, Urges Increased Focus on Kwara State

The socio-political organization, (YDV), has commended President for his...

Union Newspapers Alleges El-Rufai Dragged Them to Court for Six Years Over N90bn Asset Report

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe has accused former Kaduna State...

FERMA Proposes ₦229.999 Billion 2026 Budget, Calls for Enhanced Legislative Support

By Jabiru HassanThe (FERMA) has submitted a proposed budget...

Defence beyond Guns: Why Human Life Matters 

    By Abu Jemimah Lami Defence is often imagined...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img