x

CNN sues Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta

CNN has filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta’s access to the White House.

The lawsuit is a response to the White House’s suspension of Acosta’s press pass, known as a Secret Service “hard pass,” last week. The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN’s First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday morning.
Both CNN and Acosta are plaintiffs in the lawsuit. There are six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and the Secret Service officer who took Acosta’s hard pass away last Wednesday. The officer is identified as John Doe in the suit, pending his identification.
The six defendants are all named because of their roles in enforcing and announcing Acosta’s suspension.
Last Wednesday, shortly after Acosta was denied entry to the White House grounds, Sanders defended the unprecedented step by claiming that he had behaved inappropriately at a presidential news conference. CNN and numerous journalism advocacy groups rejected that assertion and said his pass should be reinstated.
On Friday, CNN sent a letter to the White House formally requesting the immediate reinstatement of Acosta’s pass and warning of a possible lawsuit, the network confirmed.
In a statement on Tuesday morning, CNN said it is seeking a preliminary injunction as soon as possible so that Acosta can return to the White House right away, and a ruling from the court preventing the White House from revoking Acosta’s pass in the future.

Hot this week

UEFA Champions League: Madrid Edge Benfica, Galatasaray Run Riot

It was a dramatic night of European action as...

FCTA, Firm Sign Pact to Turn Jabi Lake into Abuja’s Recreation Hub

… Warns Land Speculators to Stop Hoarding LandBy Joyce...

Manchester City F.C. Face Uncertain Future Amid 115-Charge Case

Premier League champions Manchester City remain embroiled in a...

Priyanka Chopra Jonas Addresses Stunt Speculation in The Bluff

Priyanka Chopra Jonas has responded to speculation about her...

FHQ Dominates 15th BIPOGA Swimming Competition With 15 Gold Medals

By Anne AzukaThe Police Force Headquarters (FHQ) dominated the...

BIPOGA: Zone 17 Wins 4x400m Relay in Female, Male Categories

By Anne AzukaZone 17 has emerged champion in both...

Nigeria national football team 2026 WCQ Campaign Over on Pitch, FIFA Case Still Pending

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have officially concluded their on-field journey...

Ogun State Police Command Detain TikToker Mirabel Over Alleged False Assault Claim

Popular Nigerian TikTok personality Mirabel has been taken into...

Manchester City F.C. Face Uncertain Future Amid 115-Charge Case

Premier League champions Manchester City remain embroiled in a...

Kogi Govt Hails Tinubu Over Faleke’s Appointment, Describes It as Strategic Masterstroke

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Government has expressed...

Stephen Keshi Stadium to Host BIPOGA Football Final as Zone 10 Face Zone 4

By Anne AzukaThe final of the male football event...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img