x

Edo has no funds to host National Sports Festival – Obaseki

The Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, has called on the Federal Government to help in funding the National Sports Festival, scheduled to hold in the state.

Obaseki said the state is ready to host the 20th edition of the sports event but does not have the financial capacity to host 11,500 athletes and officials.

Obaseki, who received members of the Main Organising Committee from the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development in Benin City on Tuesday, said COVID-19 had taken its toll on the finances of the state.

He said: “Since March last year, you know the financial strength of most states, sub-nationals and countries. For us as a state, we are ready to host but don’t have the funds at this point in time to host the Games; this is the plain truth.

“If the Federal Government however in its wisdom decides to bring the funding for the Games, we will be too willing to host the country. We have to live with COVID-19 because it has come to stay; even with the vaccination, the virus will still be around. Canceling the Games is not the solution to this issue. We have to sit down and look at all these issues critically before reaching a final decision.”

Obaseki added, “Beyond the Games itself, which is an instrument of unity and a way of engaging the youths, there is the Tokyo Olympics to prepare for. But how do we prepare for the Olympics without Edo 2020? Can we afford to expose our young people to the dangers of COVID-19 or would there be other Olympics in the future? We have to balance these things.

“We have to make a decision whether we want to go to the Tokyo games. If we want to, how do we prepare Nigeria’s contingent, where are the trials?”

However, Nebeolisa Anako, who led the delegation to Obaseki’s office, expressed delight with the facilities inspected by the committee for the festival scheduled to hold from February 14 to 28.

“We are here to look at the preparedness of the state and determine how it would be hosted in a safe manner, considering the pandemic. What we saw while inspecting the facilities for the festival gladdens my heart. It shows that the state government is prepared to host the event. We are also looking at the funding for the Games.”

Hot this week

Wayne Rooney Slams ‘TheUnitedStrand’ as Man Utd Fail to Win Fifth Straight Game

Wayne Rooney has taken aim at viral Manchester United...

“Strategic Leadership At Its Best”: GMI Hails Tinubu’s Diplomatic Gains, Urges Final Push Against Banditry

The Grassroots Mobilisation Initiative (GMI), has commended President Bola...

225 Bayelsa Public Schools Receive Science Laboratory Equipment, Drawing Desks

No fewer than 225 public secondary schools and five...

Falz Slams Government Over Kwara Massacre, Cites Misplaced Priorities

Nigerian rapper and social activist Folarin Falana, popularly known...

Olakunle Churchill Celebrates Wife Rosy Meurer on Her Birthday

Nigerian businessman and philanthropist Olakunle Churchill is celebrating his...

Arsenal Lead as 14 Teams Reach FA Cup Fifth Round

Arsenal stormed into the FA Cup fifth round for...

NO ONE IS ABOVE GOD, NOT EVEN THE POPE – AONDOAKAA

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of...

TY Danjuma Praises Trump for Spotlight on Middle Belt Insecurity at Plateau Varsity Event

Former Defence Minister, Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (retd.), has...

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Asaba 2026: Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support as Police Games Open

By Anne AzukaPresident and Delta State Governor have reaffirmed...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img