Connect with us

News

Kogi Police confirms Arrest of a Husband for setting Wife Ablaze in Kogi 

Published

on

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja 

The Kogi State Police Command has arrested one Jacob Irewa in connection with an attempted culpable homicide involving his wife, Berida Irawo, at Oworo Estate, Felele, Lokoja.

It was gathered that last week Friday at about 2030 hours, the B Division Surveillance Team, Felele, received a report of the incident and immediately mobilised to the scene, where the suspect was arrested.

A statement from Kogi State Police Command Public Relations Officer,

ASP Saliu Oyiza Afusat said the 

Preliminary investigation revealed that the incident followed a domestic disagreement after the victim burnt some of the suspect’s clothes which she believed he was no longer using, without his permission. 

The statement further stressed that the suspect allegedly threatened his wife, fetched petrol from his motorcycle and proceeded to set her ablaze.

“The victim survived the attack and is currently receiving treatment at Honey Gold Hospital, Felele.”

“The suspect, in his statement to the Police, admitted to setting his wife ablaze.”

 The statement said the Police Command has commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident and gather further evidence.

The Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Command, CP Naziru Bello Kankarofi, psc, mni, has condemned the incident and reiterated the Command’s zero tolerance for violence, particularly domestic violence.

 He urged members of the public to seek lawful means of resolving domestic disputes and avoid actions capable of endangering lives.

The suspect will be charged to court for prosecution upon conclusion of investigation.

“The Kogi State Police Command remains committed to protecting lives and property and ensuring that persons responsible for violent crimes are brought to justice.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

EFCC Begins Investigation of Suspect Over Undeclared Foreign Currencies Seized at Kano Airport

Published

on

By Francis Wilfred 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has commenced investigation into a suspect, Haruna Yusuf, following the interception of undeclared foreign currencies valued at $73,000, £15,957 and 827,800 Saudi Riyals at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA), Kano.

The suspect and the recovered funds were handed over to the EFCC by the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Kano/Jigawa Area Command, during a formal ceremony at the Customs Area Command in Kano.

According to Dele Oyewale, the Acting Customs Area Comptroller, Deputy Comptroller U.U. Adamu, disclosed that the currencies were intercepted during routine passenger screening operations conducted between August 8 and August 12, 2026.

According to him, the first interception occurred on August 8 when customs officers discovered an unaccompanied Saudi Air luggage containing 827,800 Saudi Riyals and $53,300 concealed inside footwear. 

The second seizure was made on August 12 when officers, using Non-Intrusive Inspection Technology, found $20,000 and £15,957 hidden inside sportswear shoes in luggage belonging to Haruna Yusuf, who arrived on Ethiopian Airlines flight ET941.

Adamu said the handover was in line with Section 4(f) of the Nigeria Customs Service Act 2023, which authorises collaboration with other regulatory agencies. 

He noted that the seizures underscored the vigilance of customs officers in detecting illegal cross-border movement of undeclared funds.

Receiving the suspect and exhibits on behalf of the EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, the Acting Zonal Director of the Kano Directorate, ACE I Friday S. Ebelo, commended the Customs Service for its professionalism and cooperation.

Ebelo stressed that failure to declare large sums of money violates the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022. He urged travellers to comply with currency declaration requirements, noting that lawful declarations attract no penalties.

He assured that the Commission would conduct a thorough investigation and prosecute offenders where necessary, while both agencies reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening collaboration in the fight against financial crimes and illicit cash movements across Nigeria’s borders.

Continue Reading

News

Taraba Govt, NAPTIP Rescue Woman Stranded in Ivory Coast

Published

on

By Aga Samuel Imoter
Jalingo

The Taraba State Government, in collaboration with the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), has rescued and facilitated the safe return of a Taraba woman, Blessing Danjuma, from the Ivory Coast following a distress call received through online channels.

The intervention was disclosed by the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Child Development, Hon. Mrs. Mary Sinjen, FCNA, ACTI, during a briefing with journalists at the newly established Ministry of Women Affairs Shelter Home in Jalingo.

Mrs. Sinjen said the ministry responded to the distress signal and worked with NAPTIP and other relevant authorities to secure Danjuma’s return to Nigeria.

She disclosed that Danjuma had been under the care and protection of the ministry since Saturday, August 15, 2026, where she was receiving necessary support and attention.

The Commissioner described the intervention as part of the Taraba State Government’s sustained efforts to combat human trafficking, exploitation and abuse of women and children across the state.

She said the newly established shelter home would provide a safe environment for vulnerable women and children while facilitating their rehabilitation, recovery and reintegration into society.

“We remain committed to rescuing, protecting, rehabilitating and empowering women and children across Taraba State. We urge parents, communities and the general public to remain vigilant and courageous enough to speak out whenever the safety and wellbeing of our women and children are at risk,” Sinjen said.

The Commissioner called on members of the public to promptly report suspected cases of human trafficking, exploitation, abuse and other forms of violence against women and children to relevant authorities.

She stressed that early intervention and accurate information from members of the public were critical to preventing victims from falling deeper into situations of exploitation.

Sinjen reaffirmed the commitment of the ministry, under the administration of Governor Agbu Kefas, to strengthening programmes aimed at protecting vulnerable persons and ensuring that victims receive appropriate care and support.

According to her, the government would continue to collaborate with federal agencies, security institutions, civil society organisations and other stakeholders to prevent trafficking and protect the rights and dignity of women and children.

She further urged parents and community leaders to exercise greater vigilance, particularly regarding offers of employment, travel and other opportunities that could expose young people to trafficking networks.

The Commissioner maintained that collective responsibility remained essential to tackling human trafficking and related forms of exploitation.

She said the state government’s objective was to build a safer Taraba where every woman and child could live free from abuse, exploitation and trafficking, while vulnerable persons are given the opportunity to recover and rebuild their lives.

Continue Reading

News

Taraba APC Chairman’s Wife Empowers 50 Widows With Business Start-Up Packages

Published

on

By

By Aga Samuel ImoterJalingo

The wife of the Taraba State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Hajiya Amina Abubakar Bawa, has empowered 50 widows with start-up support to enable them establish small-scale businesses and improve their economic wellbeing.

The beneficiaries, drawn from different parts of the state, received business start-up packages, cash assistance and wrappers during an empowerment programme held at the Fast Track Arena in Jalingo.

The initiative, according to the organisers, was designed to promote self-reliance among widows and provide them with the means to generate sustainable income for themselves and their families.

Addressing the beneficiaries, Hajiya Amina said the intervention was driven by her desire to contribute to the welfare of vulnerable women and create opportunities for them to become economically independent. She said the gesture was also intended to complement the efforts of the wife of the Taraba State Governor, Mrs. Agbu Kefas, whom she described as the “mother of the state” and a shining example of compassion and service to women and families.

Hajiya Amina stressed that empowering women, particularly widows, was essential to strengthening families and communities, noting that access to modest capital and business support could make a significant difference in the lives of vulnerable households.

She also said the programme was in line with the APC’s broader commitment to grassroots development and economic empowerment, while calling for sustained support for initiatives that directly improve the living conditions of ordinary citizens.

On the political front, she urged APC members and supporters to remain united and committed to the party’s programmes, expressing optimism about the party’s prospects ahead of the 2027 general elections.

She said party stakeholders had a responsibility to strengthen grassroots mobilisation and work collectively towards securing victory for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor Agbu Kefas and other APC candidates in the forthcoming elections.

The event attracted the participation of the APC State Woman Leader, Hon. Princess Margret; Deputy Woman Leader, Hon. Mrs. Rose; zonal APC women leaders; local government women leaders and other party stakeholders from across the state. The beneficiaries expressed appreciation for the gesture, describing the intervention as timely and potentially life-changing.

They said the start-up support would provide them with an opportunity to engage in petty trading and other income-generating activities, thereby reducing their dependence on family members and other sources of assistance.

The event ended with prayers and expressions of gratitude from the beneficiaries, while organisers reaffirmed their commitment to supporting vulnerable women and strengthening grassroots engagement across Taraba State.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.