x

Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway

By Our Reporter

No fewer than 13 persons lost their lives, while 10 others sustained injuries in a multiple accident around Saapade, near Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, on Wednesday.

Mr Clement Oladele, the Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ogun, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abeokuta.

Oladele said that the crash occurred around 5 pm. at Saapade, where diversion was created by RCC, the construction company currently working on the rehabilitation of the corridor.

He noted that the accident was caused by a speeding truck heading towards Lagos, but which suddenly suffered a tyre burst.

“In the process, the truck collided head on with two other speeding commuter buses heading towards Ibadan, with one of them, in the process, attempting to wrongfully overtake within the diversion area.

“The vehicles involved are a yellow Mazda bus, marked KTU 93 XW, a white Toyota bus with registration number: KEY 847 XA and a Man diesel truck, marked KAB 97 XA,” he said.

The FRSC boss explained that the fatal crash involved a total of 37 people, comprising 20 male adults, 15 female adults and two female children.

He added that the people injured in the crash were 10, comprising four male adults and six female adults, adding that 13 persons, comprising four male adults, seven female adults and two female children, died in the accident.

Oladele said that the corpses of the deceased had been deposited at the Ipara mortuary, while the injured were taken to Victory Hospital, Ogere.

He expressed deep shock over the incident and commiserated with the families and relations of the crash victims.

The sector commander requested the relations of the victims to contact the FRSC command in Ogere or Victory Hospital, Ogere, where they were rescued, for medical treatment.

Oladele said that the incident would have been avoided if motorists driving in diversion areas at construction zones had observed maximum speed limit of 50 kilometers per hour and avoid overtaking.

He advised passengers inside vehicles being driven recklessly to caution their drivers, adding that where they refused to be cautioned, the FRSC should be contacted on its toll free number 122. (NAN)

Hot this week

Kano Speaker Extends Condolences Over Singa Market Fire

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Court Rejects Defence Adjournment in Emefiele Naira Redesign Trial

The Federal High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja, has...

TY Danjuma Praises Trump for Spotlight on Middle Belt Insecurity at Plateau Varsity Event

Former Defence Minister, Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (retd.), has...

U.S Bill: Driving a wedge at Nigeria- China Partnership

 By Charles Onunaiju, AbujaJust recently, American’s political establishment took...

Tems Becomes First African Female Artist with Seven Billboard Hot 100 Entries

Grammy-winning Nigerian singer Tems has made history as the...

Excitement as Warri/Effurun Roads, Flyovers near completion

. Julius Berger works speedily ahead rainy seasonThere...

Ibom Air Partners MWAN on Cancer Awareness

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, Uyohas partnered with the (MWAN) to...

A’Ibom Confident of April Target for Int’l Flights as VAIA Receives Boarding Bridges

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, UyoThe Government has expressed confidence that...

NYA: A Platform for Young Nigerians to Defend Democracy – Youth President

By Jabiru HassanThe (NYA) has reaffirmed its commitment to...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Interfaith Dialogue and National Unity

By Francis WilfredPresident has reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to interfaith...

Bayelsa Honours Over 90 Veteran Journalists with Cash Awards, Football Fiesta

More than 90 retired journalists in were celebrated for...

Plateau Flags Off CNG Conversion Training for 120 Youths

By Israel Adamu, JosThe Government, in collaboration with the...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img