x

NATO ministers to discuss Covid-19 response, warn against aggression

NATO foreign ministers are due on Thursday to discuss their countries’ response to the global coronavirus pandemic, while stressing that the defence alliance remains ready to defend itself against any threat.

“Our primary objective is to ensure that this health crisis does not become a security crisis,” NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Wednesday.

The ministers will replace their regular talks with a videoconference, meeting for the first time in such a format due to restrictions on travel and physical interaction to contain the spread of the virus.

They are due to assess ways of coordinating response efforts more closely. NATO has already helped deliver emergency supplies to its worst-hit members, such as Italy and Spain, while national armed forces are supporting domestic measures to combat the crisis.

At the same time, allies are concerned that NATO’s adversaries could exploit the situation and conduct hostile activities at a time when they are focused primarily on combating the potentially lethal disease.

The alliance is working to prevent the spread of disinformation around Covid-19, with many pointing the finger at Russia and China.

“This is not the time for blame and it’s not the time to try to divide our publics either,” US ambassador to NATO Kay Bailey Hutchison said on Wednesday.

The ministers are expected to reiterate NATO’s resolve and readiness to respond to any acts of aggression.

They are also due to take decisions relating to NATO’s activities in Iraq and focus on developments in Afghanistan, while welcoming their 30th ally, North Macedonia, which joined the Western alliance last week. (dpa)

Hot this week

FCT Council Election: I ‘ll only Back “Asiwaju ‘s” Supporters—Wike

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe FCT) Minister, Barr. Nyesom Wike,...

Kogi Government Warns Churches Against Violating Security Protocols Amid Anti-Crime Drive

The Kogi State Government has warned that churches operating...

Northern Citizens’ Group Slams El-Rufai Over NSA Phone-Tapping Claim

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe Northern Citizens’ Group has criticized...

Spring Festival: Tegbe Congratulates China, Backs Deeper Economic Integration

The Director-General of the Nigeria–China Strategic Partnership (NCSP), Joseph...

Jude Bellingham Linked With Conditional Move to Manchester United

Reports indicate that Jude Bellingham has reached an agreement...

FA Cup Fifth Round Draw Confirmed

The FA Cup fifth-round draw has delivered a blend...

Lagos Court Sentences Man to One Year in Prison for N37m Forex Fraud

The Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, has...

Kaduna AG Urges Christians to Engage in Politics Ahead of 2027 Elections

By Francis WilfredKaduna State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice,...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img