President Muhammadu Buhari will on Monday, May 22, 2023 commission the 650,000 barrels per day (BPD) Dangote Petroleum Refinery, a landmark project expected to meet Nigeria’s petroleum requirements, create jobs and stimulate economic growth.
Here are quick facts about the Dangote Refinery.
1. Located at Ibeju-Lekki in Lagos state, the $19bn refinery covers approximately 2,635 hectares of land area.
2. It is the world’s largest single-train refinery with the capacity to process about 650,000 barrels of crude oil daily.
3. The refinery has a 435MW Power Plant for round-the-clock electricity.
4. At full capacity, the refinery can meet 100% of the Nigerian requirement of all refined products and also have a surplus for export.
5. The Dangote Refinery is designed for 100% Nigerian crude with the flexibility to process other crudes.
6. At full production, the facility can produce 50,000,000 litres of gasoline and 17,000,000 litres of diesel daily as well as aviation fuel and plastic products.
7. The pipeline infrastructure at the refinery is the largest anywhere in the world with 1,100 kilometres to handle 3 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day.
8. The refinery design complies with World Bank, US, European and Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) emission norms.
9. The refinery which also has a fertiliser plant is expected to generate 4,000 direct and 145,000 indirect jobs.
10. The refinery is funded with $3bn equity and $6bn loan capital.