Connect with us

News

Rights Group Condemns APC Primaries, Calls for Citizen Action Ahead of 2027 Elections

Published

on

By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna

The Eagle Brain Human Rights Organization (EB-HRO) has strongly condemned the recently concluded primary elections of the All Progressives Congress (APC), describing the process as a “total subversion of democracy” and calling on Nigerians to take action ahead of the 2027 general elections.

In a statement issued in Kaduna State and signed by its Executive Director, Daniel Ejembi, the organisation alleged that the primaries were characterised by imposition, manipulation, and exclusion of citizens from the democratic process.

According to the group, the exercise amounted to a “blatant abuse of power” and a coordinated takeover of the ballot process by political actors.

“The recently concluded APC primary elections across Nigeria represent a total subversion of our democratic process and a blatant abuse of power. What we witnessed was not an exercise of the people’s will, but a coordinated hijack of the ballot where citizens were denied their right to vote and be voted for,” the statement read.

EB-HRO further claimed that in several states, the primaries were reduced to what it described as “a coronation of preferred candidates backed by the machinery of the ruling government.”

The organisation also expressed concern over what it called contradictions among some political actors, alleging that individuals who previously criticised electoral manipulation are now benefiting from similar processes.

It specifically referenced developments in Kaduna State’s senatorial contests, describing them as evidence of political opportunism and compromised integrity.

According to the rights group, such practices undermine public trust in democracy and weaken accountability in governance.

“The most shocking case occurred in Kaduna Zone 2, where a self-described ‘comrade’ who built a public profile fighting for a better Nigeria is now the direct beneficiary of a victory bought and delivered by the ruling establishment,” Ejembi stated.

The group urged Nigerians to reject candidates whose emergence, it claimed, was not driven by popular will but by political imposition.

It warned that such candidates would be more accountable to those who sponsored their emergence than to the electorate.

“Candidates imposed through this process will never represent the people’s interest; they will only represent the interest of those who paid for their victory,” the statement added.

EB-HRO also called on citizens to become more politically active ahead of the 2027 elections, urging voter registration, mobilisation, and participation in the electoral process.

“Nigeria’s democracy will not heal itself. We must collectively work to flush out bad leaders and restore accountability to our politics. The time to get involved is now,” the group said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Kogi Police Intensify Bush Clearance Operations in Forests

Published

on

By

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

The Kogi State Police Command has intensified joint bush clearance operations in identified forest areas to deny criminal elements access to suspected hideouts and forest corridors across the state. The Commissioner of Police, CP Naziru Bello Kankarofi, said the operations were part of efforts to maintain pressure on suspected criminal elements operating in remote areas and improve security for residents and farmers.

According to a statement signed by the command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Saliu Oyiza Afusat, a joint operation was conducted on Thursday, August 20, across forest locations linking Kabba/Bunu, Obajana and Lokoja. The operation involved personnel from the police, military, local vigilante groups and other security auxiliaries.

The team searched the Daji 2 Forest Zone and cleared an abandoned settlement reportedly suspected of having been used as a hideout or staging point for criminal activities. The security personnel also conducted a clearance operation at Amos Camp, another abandoned location in difficult terrain involving creeks and mountainous areas.

The command said signs of recent movement were observed along routes leading towards the Oyo Forest axis of Obajana, suggesting that occupants had left the area before the security team arrived. The police said the operations had boosted confidence among residents and farmers, with some returning to their farmlands and daily activities.

Kankarofi commended participating personnel and collaborating security and community groups for their resilience and teamwork. He assured residents that patrols, intelligence gathering and bush clearance operations would continue across identified areas to improve security and protect legitimate economic activities.

Continue Reading

News

Ododo Urges TETFund to Focus Research on Practical Solutions

Published

on

By

From Noah Ocheni, Lokoja

Kogi State Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo has urged the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) to increase investment in research and innovation that can provide practical solutions to Nigeria’s developmental challenges.

Ododo made the call on Thursday at the 2026 TETFund North Central Stakeholders’ Town Hall Meeting held at the Kogi State Government House in Lokoja.The meeting was themed “The Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, and Its Impact on Tertiary Institutions in North Central Nigeria.”

The governor described education as a foundation for national development and urged TETFund to prioritise research in agriculture, mining, healthcare, manufacturing, artificial intelligence, renewable energy and security. He said tertiary institutions should move beyond theoretical research and develop solutions capable of supporting food security, industrial growth, job creation and sustainable development.

Ododo commended TETFund for its interventions in infrastructure, research, staff development and institutional capacity building, assuring that Kogi State would continue to support initiatives aimed at improving teaching, research and innovation. He also commended Dr Abdulrahman Hassan Ocholi, the TETFund Board of Trustees member representing the North Central Zone, for organising the stakeholders’ meeting shortly after his appointment.

Ocholi said the meeting was designed to promote dialogue, accountability and collaboration among TETFund, beneficiary institutions, governments, students and host communities.The stakeholders endorsed President Tinubu for a second term and Governor Ododo for another term, while also supporting APC governorship candidates across the North Central Zone. They appointed Ododo as patron of the group, resolved to begin grassroots mobilisation and called for increased funding for TETFund.

Continue Reading

News

Akwa Ibom Police Launch ‘One to Tell Ten’ Initiative to Discourage Youth Crime

Published

on

By

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, Uyo

The Akwa Ibom State Police Command has launched the “One to Tell Ten” initiative to encourage young people to reject crime and promote peace, responsible citizenship and safer communities.The initiative, launched in Uyo during activities marking International Youth Day 2026, brought together more than 2,000 youth leaders across the state.

Commissioner of Police Baba Azare said the programme was designed to multiply positive security messages, with each participating youth encouraged to share the message with at least 10 others. He urged youths to reject political thuggery, cultism, drug abuse, cybercrime, electoral violence, vandalism and other criminal activities while supporting intelligence gathering, early warning and community-based crime prevention.

Azare also urged young people to embrace the campaign, “My Future Is Greater Than Political Thuggery,” stressing that political interests should not jeopardise their lives or future. The commissioner described youths as important partners in modern policing and reaffirmed the command’s commitment to strengthening police-youth relations, community policing and intelligence-led policing. He warned that anyone involved in violence, kidnapping, armed robbery, cybercrime, vandalism or other offences would face legal action regardless of status or affiliation.

On digital responsibility, Azare urged youths to “Think Before You Click, Verify Before You Share,” warning against misinformation, cyberbullying, defamatory content, manipulated media and the irresponsible use of artificial intelligence. He encouraged young Nigerians to choose dialogue over violence, innovation over criminality and patriotism over division.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.