x

Terror Alert: Don’t Panic, Buhari Tells Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday urged Nigerians not to panic over the recent travel advisory issued by the United States and United Kingdom governments, warning their citizens to steer clear of Abuja because of the risk of terrorist attack.

This is coming on the heels of confirmation by security agencies that they had been raiding hideouts of terror suspects in Abuja and satellite towns in the last few days, but denied involvement of United States soldiers. However, residents of Fakai and Zuru local government areas of Kebbi State are being forced to flee their settlements following sustained attacks by terrorists.

The US Embassy in Abuja had issued an alert for “an elevated risk of terror attacks” in the city, saying that possible targets include government buildings, places of worship and other public places, while the UK High Commission extended its terror alert to include Abuja and 14 Nigerian states.
In addition, the two countries suspended consular services in Abuja, while the US government authorised the departure of its non-essential employees and their families from Abuja.

But the President, who returned to Abuja after a six-day official visit to South Korea, where he participated in the maiden World Bio Summit 2022, said travel advice from the US and UK governments should not be a cause for panic.

The President, in a release by his spokesman, Mallam Garba Shehu, urged citizens and security establishment to remain vigilant.
He said: “Nigeria is no exception in having terror threats listed in foreign government’s travel advice to their citizens. UK and US travel advisories also state there is a high likelihood of terror attacks in many Western European nations. Indeed, the UK and US advice to their respective citizens for travel to one another’s countries contain the same warning. Unfortunately, terror is a reality the world over.

“However, it does not mean an attack in Abuja is imminent. Since the July prison raid, security measures have been reinforced in and around the FCT. Heightened monitoring and interception of terrorist communications ensure potential threats are caught further upstream.

“Attacks are being foiled. Security agents are proactively rooting out threats to keep citizens safe. Much of their work unseen and necessarily confidential. Nigerians’ safety remains the highest priority of government. Security services are working around the clock to keep harm at bay.”
The President assured Nigerians that his government is on top of the security situation in country.

While noting, in addition that security threats are real and have been around for a long while, he said the nation’s military, the police and other security agencies had shown a capability to deal with it, “as is evident from the fact that a majority of our partners, including the United Nations agencies in our midst have not seen the threat as being sufficient to warrant any form of panic or order citizens’ evacuations.”

The President stressed that while being security conscious, being alert and careful is crucial, it is also important that responsible members of the society do not create situations leading to unnecessary panic.

President Buhari commended the military and other security agencies for the recent turn around in the nation’s security, and directs that additional precautionary measures be put in place and that these must not slacken now, and during the upcoming festive period.
Buhari expressed optimism that given the on-going efforts on the part of the military and other security and intelligence agencies with the active support of the civilian population, the nation would emerge victorious against the current challenges facing it.

There has been heightened tension in the nation’s capital in the last few days following the terror alerts by the US and the UK governments.
The popular Jabi Lake Mall shut its doors to shoppers and visitors on Thursday, citing the security alert.

Hot this week

Delta State Pledges Economic Growth and Unity Ahead of 2nd Niger Delta Games

By Anne AzukaGovernor Sheriff Oborevwori of Delta State has...

Kaduna Gov Uba Sani Pledges No Demolition Without Compensation

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKaduna State Governor, , has assured...

U.S Bill: Driving a wedge at Nigeria- China Partnership

 By Charles Onunaiju, AbujaJust recently, American’s political establishment took...

Defence beyond Guns: Why Human Life Matters 

    By Abu Jemimah Lami Defence is often imagined...

GPF and Nigerian Faith Leaders Call for Urgent Action on Rising Violence

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaFaith and community leaders from Nigeria...

FHQ Dominates 15th BIPOGA Swimming Competition With 15 Gold Medals

By Anne AzukaThe Police Force Headquarters (FHQ) dominated the...

BIPOGA: Zone 17 Wins 4x400m Relay in Female, Male Categories

By Anne AzukaZone 17 has emerged champion in both...

Nigeria national football team 2026 WCQ Campaign Over on Pitch, FIFA Case Still Pending

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have officially concluded their on-field journey...

Ogun State Police Command Detain TikToker Mirabel Over Alleged False Assault Claim

Popular Nigerian TikTok personality Mirabel has been taken into...

Manchester City F.C. Face Uncertain Future Amid 115-Charge Case

Premier League champions Manchester City remain embroiled in a...

Kogi Govt Hails Tinubu Over Faleke’s Appointment, Describes It as Strategic Masterstroke

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Government has expressed...

Stephen Keshi Stadium to Host BIPOGA Football Final as Zone 10 Face Zone 4

By Anne AzukaThe final of the male football event...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img