x

Two killed during protest as A’Ibom declares curfew

By Samuel Ogenyi, Uyo

Two persons have been allegedly shot dead at Ibom plaza, at the heart of Uyo metropolis following confrontation between EndSARS protesters and security agents on Thursday evening.

One bank has also been reportedly burnt as the protest which has been peaceful in Uyo became violent.

It was gathered that trouble started when a vehicle belonging to one of the security agencies was denied passage through the popular Ibom plaza by protesters who have occupied the facility since Monday.

They were said to have shot sporadically into the air to ward off protesters who were ready to pounce on them only for the stray bullet to hit two of the protesters.

It was learnt that the protesting youths chased the vehicle, which was able to meander its way through some side streets around the plaza area untill they were able to escape from their pursuers.

Already some government offices were said to have been torched by the protesters who had earlier in the afternoon stormed the entrance of Idongesit Nkanga Secretariat, displacing unsuspecting workers who fled at sight of the approaching troops.

Report available to newsmen also have it that there was also another clash between the protesters who insisted on matching to the Government House and the security agencies.

Major roads in the state capital have become deserted as people quickly took refuge in their homes to avoid being cut in cross fire.

Meanwhile the state government has declared a one day curfew in a desperate move to quel violence which greeted the EndSARS protests Thursday evening in Uyo and other parts of the state.

A statement declaring the curfew from the state Information Commmissioner, Barr Ini Ememobong said the curfew would in the first instance last from 9pm on Thursday to noon on Friday.

“Due to the violent manifestations of some persons masquerading as #EndSARS protesters trying to create chaos this evening, in Uyo, the capital city of Akwa Ibom state, HE the Governor of Akwa Ibom state, Mr. Udom Emmanuel has declared a curfew effective 9pm today, Thursday, 22nd October,2020 till midday tomorrow, Friday, 23rd October, 2020.

“This action is taken to protect lives and property of citizens and the restoration of Law and Order in our state. Within the period of this curfew, there will be an absolute cessation of movement, except for essential service providers, who must show a valid means of identification.

“We urge all law abiding citizens to stay at home during the period of this curfew.” It said.

Hot this week

KEDCO Launches Digital Payment System to Simplify Bill Settlement

By Jabiru HassanThe (KEDCO) has launched a self-service payment...

The New Wave of Coups in Africa: Why Military Takeovers Are Back

By Babade Victor TemijopeOver the past four years, Africa...

Spring Festival: Tegbe Congratulates China, Backs Deeper Economic Integration

The Director-General of the Nigeria–China Strategic Partnership (NCSP), Joseph...

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Kaduna Governor Restores State-Sponsored Christian Pilgrimage After 11-Year Suspension

Christian leaders and intending pilgrims in Kaduna State have...

TCN MD Urges Unified HR Policy Implementation Across 10 Regions

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the...

Oborevwori Inspects Ugbolu–Okpanam, Oko Road Projects, Demands Quality and Timely Completion

Delta State Governor, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, has reaffirmed...

Tuomo Clan Gets Western Zone Backing for INC 1st Vice President Slot

Chief Ezonebi Oyakemeagbegha, outgoing Publicity Secretary of the Ijaw...

Igoche Mark Hails Tinubu’s Sports Reforms, Urges Private Sector Investment

Basketball promoter and founder of the Mark D’ Ball...

TSG DG Welcomes Gov Yusuf to APC, Backs Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda

The Director-General of the Tinubu Support Groups (TSG), Dr....

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img