x

20th National Sports Festival to hold from Dec.3

The National Council on Sports has recommended Dec. 3 to Dec. 18 for hosting of National Sports Festival tagged “Edo 2020” which was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a communique issued at the end of its two-day meeting on Friday in Asaba, the Council, however, stressed that the Games would be held under strict COVID-19 protocols.

According to the communique signed by Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, and other members of the Council, this year’s  games will be held in two phases.

“Competition days Phase 1, comes up from Dec. 6 to Dec. 10; break and arrivals for second phase comes up on Dec, 11 and Competition days for Phase 2 from Dec. 12 to Dec. 16; closing ceremony for Dec. 17, and closure of Games Village on Dec. 18,” it said.

The Technical Session of the meeting had agreed on the new format for the Games in order to strictly keep with the COVID-19 protocols.

READ ALSO: Rakuten extend sponsorship deal with Barcelona

“The virtual meeting held earlier this year unanimously agreed to host the Festival this year.

“The Committee of Experts set up during the virtual meeting made specific recommendations regarding the successful organisation of the 20th National Sports Festival.

“It has become imperative to tinker with the modus operandi of the Festival,” the communique read in part.

It, however, noted that the recommendations were subject to the guidelines of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and final approval by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, who is the Chairman of the Council, assured that all COVID-19 protocols would be fully implemented in line with international best practice.

He said that all infrastructure for the Games were COVID-19 compliant as confirmed by the National Assembly inspection visit to the state.

Earlier, Edo Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, who was also present at the meeting, emphasised the state’s readiness to conduct COVID-19 testing for all athlete and officials who would attend the competition.

“It is indeed heart warming that the long awaited NSF is holding this year 2020 as jointly approved by the National Council on Sports, today in Asaba,” he said.

The festival was postponed few days to kick off in March as a precautionary measure against the spread of the virus.

Hot this week

Wike’s Bold Governance , Infrastructure Renewal in FCT is Exemplary, says Gusau

By Joyce Remi- BabayejuThe former Coordinating Director, Economic and...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Interfaith Dialogue and National Unity

By Francis WilfredPresident has reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to interfaith...

Insecurity: One Killed, Woman Kidnapped by Gunmen in Kogi Community

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaGunmen have killed a young man...

Bayelsa Honours Over 90 Veteran Journalists with Cash Awards, Football Fiesta

More than 90 retired journalists were celebrated in Bayelsa...

Northern Stakeholders, Coalition Stage Anti-Elrufai protest in Kaduna

...Urges his detention till proper investigationBy Achadu Gabriel,...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

Terrorism Spillover from the Sahel: What Nigeria Must Prepare For

By Emmanuel Samdave OnucheThe Sahel has emerged as the...

Prosperity Cup Organisers Train Referees Ahead of Tournament

Organisers of the , popularly known as the Prosperity...

Ramadan, Lent: 90 Convicts Freed in Kaduna as Gov Sani Calls for Unity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaGovernor of has approved the release...

Pay 1% NCDF Levy or Risk Loss of Approvals, NCDMB Warns

The (NCDMB) has reiterated that payment of the one...

Political Stalwarts in Ukwa East Defect to Labour Party

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuThe in has recorded a fresh...

Relief for Former Councillors in Abia as Payment of Arrears Begins

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuFormer councillors who served in local...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img