x

Court fixes Nov. 26 for Buhari’s impeachment suit hearing

A Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo Osun State capital has fixed November 26, 2018 for suit hearing which seeks to compel the National Assembly to begin impeachment proceedings against President Muhammadu Buhari.

On Tuesday, Justice Maurine Onyetenu, the presiding judge made this known, as she entertained the case, which was jointly instituted by a human right lawyer, Kanmi Ajibola, and an activist, Sulaiman Adeniyi against the President for his alleged failure to meet basic requirement to occupy the office of the president.

The applicants had earlier written the National Assembly, alleging constitutional breaches by the president and urged both chambers to begin impeachment of the president.

In the motion ex-parte, the duo were contending that in flagrant violation of the 1999 constitution, President Buhari contested the election, won and was sworn in as the president on May 29, 2015 without possessing the basic constitutional requirement, which would have qualified him for the contest.

They also alleged that President Buhari in flagrant violation of section 137 (1) (j) of the 1999 constitution presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for the purpose of the 2015 presidential election that brought him to the office of the president.

The applications in the suit, further said that “In the light of the 4th respondent’s placement to continue in the office as the president, he has no certificate and basic requirement upon which this placement to continue in the office can be placed.”

They also accused the president of treating the orders of the court with great disdain and abuse of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria at will, particularly from the angle of the observance of the federal character as contained in section 14 of the constitution.

Counsel to the applicants, Samuel Echeonwu, told the court that counsel to the respondents have not served him the process for their objections.

Solomon Ogunlowo, the representative of the President apologised to the court for his failure to serve the applicants notice of preliminary objections, promising that he would effect the service so that the matter can go on in the next adjournment.

The matter was thereafter adjourned for hearing to November 26, 2018 by Justice Onyetenu.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

INEC Collapses Plans to RecallSenator Natasha in Kogi

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC)...

BREAKING: Renewed Hope Proactiveness In Tackling Emergencies Commended.

By Jabiru Hassan.Less than 24 hours of the sad...

INEC Rejects Petition to Recall Senator Natasha in Kogi,

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)...

Delta 2027: No Vacancy In Govt House, says Guwor

By Anne Azuka Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly, Rt...

Rainstorm destroys over 70 houses  in Langtang South LGA of Plateau

By Isreal Adamu, Jos No fewer than 70  houses and...

Plateau govt fumes as gunmen kill 10 persons in Bokkos LGA 

By Israel Adamu,Jos At least, 10 persons were killed on...

SOSG seeks partnership to revive moribound industries 

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto Gov  Ahmed Aliyu says his administration...

Governor Skkoto bags ANCOPS’s Excellence Award In Education

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto The All Nigerian Conference of Principals...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img