x

Alleged N32.8bn Pension Fraud: Court grants EFCC leave to amends charge

Abuja, Feb. 17, 2020 justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf of an FCT High Court on Monday, granted leave to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to file amended charge against a director in the Police Pension Office, Atiku Kigo and five others, charged with alleged N32.8 billion police pension funds.

Others charged are Esai Dangabar; Ahmed Wada; Mrs Veronica Onyegbulam; Sani Zira; Uzoma Attang and Christian Madubuike before

Justice Baba-Yusuf ordered the EFCC to file the amended charge in which the name of the seventh defendant as well as the counts 19 and 20 have been removed.

He then adjourned the case until , Feb. 18 for the defendants to take their plea.

They were charged with conspiracy and criminal breach of trust in the misappropriation of police pension fund to the tune of N14billion.

Daybreak reports that Dangabar (1st defendant) died on July 24, 2019 in the course of the trial .

At the resumed hearing of the case , EFCC counsel, Mr Oluwaleke Atolagbe, informed the court that there were two further amended charges filed by the prosecution before the court.

The charges, according to him, were dated Dec. 5, 2019 and Dec. 20, 2019 respectively.

He prayed for the withdrawal of Dec. 5, 2019 charge , the peayer was granted.

Atolagbe told the court that pursuant to Sections 216 and 218 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), the charge filed on December 20, 2019 be admitted as further amended charge and be read to the defendants.

Counsel for Onyegbulam, Mr Earnest Ikeji, however, drew the attention of the court to the fact that a new defendant, John Yakubu Yusuf, was added to the defendants as the seventh defendant but he was not present in court.

He, therefore, sought the intervention of the court on whether the defendants could take their plea in the absence of the seventh defendant.

Responding , Atolagbe told the court that Yusuf had been convicted and since he (the seventh defendant) was involved in the scam his name could not have been removed from the charge.

He, however, applied that the court strike out both the name of John Yakubu Yusuf and counts 19 and 20 of the amended charge from the face of the charge.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

INEC Collapses Plans to RecallSenator Natasha in Kogi

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC)...

BREAKING: Renewed Hope Proactiveness In Tackling Emergencies Commended.

By Jabiru Hassan.Less than 24 hours of the sad...

INEC Rejects Petition to Recall Senator Natasha in Kogi,

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)...

Delta 2027: No Vacancy In Govt House, says Guwor

By Anne Azuka Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly, Rt...

Rainstorm destroys over 70 houses  in Langtang South LGA of Plateau

By Isreal Adamu, Jos No fewer than 70  houses and...

Plateau govt fumes as gunmen kill 10 persons in Bokkos LGA 

By Israel Adamu,Jos At least, 10 persons were killed on...

SOSG seeks partnership to revive moribound industries 

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto Gov  Ahmed Aliyu says his administration...

Governor Skkoto bags ANCOPS’s Excellence Award In Education

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto The All Nigerian Conference of Principals...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img