x

Nigerian Government plans To Revoke Sowore’s Bail, Convert To Jail- #RevolutionNow

The Nigerian government is perfecting its plan to revoke the bail of human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, and jail him on trumped-up charges at a court sitting in Abuja for leading the #RevolutionNow agitation.

“#RevolutionNow. We are in the Federal High Court now after our lawyers applied for adjournment in writing. Surprisingly the court sat and the Federal Government rushed to ask the judge to revoke my bail; they are desperate to jail me the other way round, since they can’t prove their original case,” Sowore said on Thursday afternoon.

A prosecution witness, an operative of the Department of State Services, Rasheed Olawale, who was brought to court at the last adjournment date to testify against Sowore had, however, claimed that he was in secondary school when he heard that President Muhammadu Buhari overthrew a democratically elected government of late Alhaji Shehu Shagari in 1983 – the only revolution he knew about.

He also told the court that there was no record of a revolution in any part of the country on August 5, 2019, something the Sowore was accused of instigating and subsequently arrested for.

He had disclosed these during a cross-examination by the defence counsel, Femi Falana, at the resumed hearing of the case. 

The DSS witness and also an operative had noted that there was no record of any revolution in any part of the country on the said date.

Olawale had told the court that he was part of the team which arrested Sowore on August 3, in Lagos State for allegedly planning a revolution protest to overthrow President Buhari.

He also told the court that intelligence reports at their disposal revealed that Sowore was planning a revolution protest on August 5, 2019, but there was no violence or revolution on the said date.

Falana had also asked the witness if he was aware that President Buhari led a coup to overthrow a democratically elected government of Shehu Shagari in 1983. The witness said he heard about it as a teenager during his secondary school days. 

He had also asked if he was aware that President Buhari had in 2011 called for a revolution but the witness said he could not recall and he was not aware.

When asked if he was aware that those who participated in the protest in Lagos, Ogun, Ondo and Cross Rivers states were charged for unlawful assembly at a Federal High Court in Lagos and had since been discharged and acquitted, Olawale again denied the knowledge.

At the end of the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, the court had admitted his statement as evidence and marked as Exhibit 1. 

Meanwhile, ruling on the application filed by the prosecution counsel, Bagudu Sani, seeking protection of the witnesses, the trial judge, Ijeoma Ojukwu, had held that only the defendants, legal representatives and accredited journalists be allowed inside the court room in the subsequent proceedings. 

The judge had noted that the number of people in the court would not exceed 20 in line with the COVID-19 protocols and to ensure adequate social distancing. 

The matter had been adjourned to January 25, February 4 and 5, 2021 by 1pm.

Hot this week

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

Joe Adia Calls for Balanced Approach to NDDC Payments and Programmes

Joe Adia, Founder of the Contractors Association of the...

Diri Marks Sixth Anniversary in Office with Thanksgiving Service in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri on Saturday marked six...

Northern Stakeholders, Coalition Stage Anti-Elrufai protest in Kaduna

...Urges his detention till proper investigationBy Achadu Gabriel,...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

Terrorism Spillover from the Sahel: What Nigeria Must Prepare For

By Emmanuel Samdave OnucheThe Sahel has emerged as the...

Prosperity Cup Organisers Train Referees Ahead of Tournament

Organisers of the , popularly known as the Prosperity...

Ramadan, Lent: 90 Convicts Freed in Kaduna as Gov Sani Calls for Unity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaGovernor of has approved the release...

Pay 1% NCDF Levy or Risk Loss of Approvals, NCDMB Warns

The (NCDMB) has reiterated that payment of the one...

Political Stalwarts in Ukwa East Defect to Labour Party

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuThe in has recorded a fresh...

Relief for Former Councillors in Abia as Payment of Arrears Begins

By Okechukwu Keshi UkegbuFormer councillors who served in local...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img