x

Adhere to Peace Accord—NLC

The Leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress has congratulated President-elect Muhammadu Buhari, noting that by his victory he has become the second person to be re-elected since the country returned to civilian rule twenty years ago.

NLC in a statement by its President, Ayuba Wabba on Wednesday, however, urged other candidates who participated in the election to accept the outcome and adhere to the peace accord they had signed before the election.

He said the electioneering campaign though bitterly fought and the election itself keenly contested, the President-elect and those aggrieved by the outcome should put the interest of the nation first before other considerations.
“We reiterate that no candidate’s victory or loss is worth the life or property of anyone. Mr President won in 2015 on his campaign promise to fight corruption, restore security and grow the economy. From his re-election, this may have bonded well with the greater majority of the people who voted for him.

“Nonetheless, his re-election avails him a great opportunity to reflect on and re-assess this vision, strategy and implementation as well as enable him to complete pending projects and initiate new ones where feasible.
“The Nigeria Labour Congress on its part will work with the social partners, government and organised private sector to ensure Nigerians, especially, workers get dividends of democracy as at when due. Worker-pensioner-issues, especially salaries, pensions and welfare will continue to dominate our engagement with government,” Labour stated.
The apex Labour centre also commended the electoral umpire, INEC for organising the elections irrespective of the initial glitches.

He urged the institution to speedily correct the lapses identified so far in order for it to conduct more credible elections in the future.
He said, “finally, our most profound commendation goes to the millions of Nigerians who defied all odds to perform their civic duty. Similarly, our deep condolences go to the families of those who lost their lives. We demand that the culprits be brought to book in accordance with our laws”.

Hot this week

KEDCO Launches Digital Payment System to Simplify Bill Settlement

By Jabiru HassanThe (KEDCO) has launched a self-service payment...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs on National Telecoms Policy Review

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

El-rufai must return every Kobo he allegedly looted in Kaduna- Sen. Shehu Sani

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe Senator representing Kaduna Central...

Terrorism Spillover from the Sahel: What Nigeria Must Prepare For

By Emmanuel Samdave OnucheThe Sahel has emerged as the...

U.S Bill: Driving a wedge at Nigeria- China Partnership

 By Charles Onunaiju, AbujaJust recently, American’s political establishment took...

FHQ Dominates 15th BIPOGA Swimming Competition With 15 Gold Medals

By Anne AzukaThe Police Force Headquarters (FHQ) dominated the...

BIPOGA: Zone 17 Wins 4x400m Relay in Female, Male Categories

By Anne AzukaZone 17 has emerged champion in both...

Nigeria national football team 2026 WCQ Campaign Over on Pitch, FIFA Case Still Pending

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have officially concluded their on-field journey...

Ogun State Police Command Detain TikToker Mirabel Over Alleged False Assault Claim

Popular Nigerian TikTok personality Mirabel has been taken into...

Manchester City F.C. Face Uncertain Future Amid 115-Charge Case

Premier League champions Manchester City remain embroiled in a...

Kogi Govt Hails Tinubu Over Faleke’s Appointment, Describes It as Strategic Masterstroke

From Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Government has expressed...

Stephen Keshi Stadium to Host BIPOGA Football Final as Zone 10 Face Zone 4

By Anne AzukaThe final of the male football event...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img