x

Umahi Inspects East-West Road, Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, and Bodo-Bonny Road Projects

Sets Clear Expectations for Contractors, Urges Swift Action to Meet Deadlines

By Jabiru Hassan, Kano

The Minister of Works, Engr. Nweze David Umahi, CON, FNSE, FNATE, has reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to infrastructure development while inspecting ongoing projects in the South-East and South-South regions.

During his visit to the East-West Road, Section III (Eleme Junction-Onne Junction), Engr. Umahi expressed satisfaction with the quality of work delivered so far but directed the contractor, Messrs Reynolds Construction Company (RCC), to increase resource deployment to accelerate progress. He warned that failure to meet the set deadline of April 2025 for completing a section of the carriageway could result in the contract being rescoped or re-awarded.

The inspection, which began on January 7, 2025, also covered Section III (Umuahia-Aba) of the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway. Engr. Umahi commended Messrs Arab Contractors (Nig.) Ltd. for the quality of their work but urged them to open two additional sites to ensure timely completion.

However, on Section IV (Aba-Port Harcourt), handled by Messrs China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC), the Minister expressed dissatisfaction over delays. He noted that despite N21 billion being allocated last year, the contractor had only accessed N7 billion, leading to slow progress. Consequently, he instructed the Federal Controller of Works (Rivers State) to issue a warning to the contractor, with a threat of termination if improvements were not made promptly.

At the Bodo-Bonny Road project, Engr. Umahi voiced discontent over the pace of work by Messrs Julius Berger (Nig.) Plc (JBN). Despite the contractor working through the festive period, the Minister emphasized the need for increased deployment of resources. The road, a key component of South-South infrastructure, includes 17 bridges spanning 3,200 meters and a reinforced concrete pavement on Bonny Island.

Engr. Umahi underscored the urgency of meeting deadlines and directed all Federal Controllers of Works to ensure the completion of at least four projects each for commissioning between February and May 2025.

“There is no room for further delays. Contractors failing to meet their obligations will face consequences, including a 14-day termination notice,” he warned.

The Minister reassured Nigerians of the Federal Government’s dedication to completing inherited projects alongside the four legacy projects initiated by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR. He emphasized that delays were attributable to contractors, not the government.

“This year, we will enforce stricter measures to ensure projects are completed as scheduled. President Tinubu remains committed to advancing infrastructure and accelerating national growth,” Engr. Umahi stated.

He called for greater collaboration among stakeholders, including government officials, contractors, and the public, to achieve timely delivery.

“No contractor should collect government funds and fail to deliver. We will closely monitor all projects to align with President Tinubu’s vision for national development,” the Minister concluded.

Hot this week

North-West Security Summit: Gov. Uba Sani, Defence Minister Outline Strategies to Tackle Insecurity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKey stakeholders from government, defence,...

‎Alhaji Zazzaga an Impostor, ,remains a suspended member , says Plateau APC Group

By Israel Adamu,Jos‎ The ‎ All Progressives Congress...

Political Analysts Describe Maikaya as Nasarawa’s Emerging Consensus Bridge Ahead of 2027

As the political temperature in Nasarawa State gradually rises...

Troops Arrest Air Force Personnel in Kogi for Alleged Arms Trafficking

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaTroops of the 12 Brigade,...

Bishop Kukah Says No Christian Persecution in Nigeria, Cites Misuse of Data and Genocide Claims

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaBishop of the Sokoto Catholic Diocese...

North-West Security Summit: Gov. Uba Sani, Defence Minister Outline Strategies to Tackle Insecurity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKey stakeholders from government, defence,...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Eradicating Insecurity, Seeks Stronger Global Support – Akume

By Francis WilfredThe Federal Government has reiterated its...

FG Launches ECOWAS Biometric Identity Card to Combat Cross-Border Crimes and Irregular Migration

By Francis WilfredThe Federal Government has strengthened its regional...

Tinubu’s Swift Security Interventions Reflect Good Leadership — Amb. Tsoken

By Jabiru HassanThe National President of the APC Initiative...

Kogi Polytechnic Inaugurates New SUG and NAKOSS Leaders for 2025/2026 Session

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaKogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, has inaugurated...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img