x

Swiss football league submits plan for possible resumption of matches

The Swiss football league (SFL) says it has submitted a detailed plan to the government for the possible resumption of training and matches in the aftermath of the coronavirus shutdown.

The SFL said the plan was drawn up in co-operation with health experts.

The Swiss government last week announced a gradual end to restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the novel coronavirus, starting with beauty salons and hairdressers on April 27.

This raised hopes that the football season, which was suspended on March 2, could get underway again in the near future.

Football in Europe is currently at a standstill, although teams in neighbouring Germany and Austria have restarted training under strict social distancing restrictions in preparation for a resumption of their seasons.

The SFL said in a statement that restarting the championship, even with matches played behind closed doors, could be a positive sign for the country in general.

But it added that this was also necessary to prevent the financial ruin of Swiss football.

“With the resumption of play with ‘ghost games’ (matches without spectators), under scientific supervision and combined with a risk management concept, top football wants to send a signal that it is possible to return to something closer to normality as soon as possible,” SFL said.

“This seems to be the only viable way to save Swiss professional football in its current form while at the same time complying with the important requirements for the protection of players and the population.”

The SFL said the plan contained “possible scenarios for the resumption of training operations and the organisation of ghost games and is intended to serve as a basis for a decision by the authorities on professional football.”

It had teamed up with the Institute of Infectious Diseases (IFIK) at Bern University in drawing up the plan.

SFL said the documents were also intended as a general guide “to show how training, competitions and also leisure sports activities can take place again within the framework of the protective measures that are still in force”.

Hot this week

Group Faults Akwa Ibom Government Over JAMB Non-Recognition of State University of Education

By Ogenyi Ogenyi, UyoA civil society organisation, the Centre...

A’Ibom tasks sports officials on capacity building

By Ogenyi EmekaPaul Bassey, Commissioner for Sports in Akwa...

Lagos Court Sentences Man to One Year in Prison for N37m Forex Fraud

The Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, has...

NAHCON Chairman Prof. Abdullahi Saleh Usman Resigns, Thanks President Tinubu

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaProfessor Sheikh Abdullahi Saleh Usman, Chairman...

Court Rejects Defence Adjournment in Emefiele Naira Redesign Trial

The Federal High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja, has...

Lagos Court Sentences Man to One Year in Prison for N37m Forex Fraud

The Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, has...

Kaduna AG Urges Christians to Engage in Politics Ahead of 2027 Elections

By Francis WilfredKaduna State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice,...

Wildlife Journalist Urges Action Over Migratory Bat Killings in Kaduna

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaA wildlife journalist has called on...

GPF and Nigerian Faith Leaders Call for Urgent Action on Rising Violence

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaFaith and community leaders from Nigeria...

BIPOGA Wrestling: Police Zones Battle for Top Honors

By Anne AzukaThe 15th Biennial Police Games (BIPOGA) opened...

Bayelsa Welcomes Unity Torch Ahead of 2nd Niger Delta Games

Bayelsa State has received the Unity Torch for the...

Delta State Receives Torch of Unity Ahead of 2nd Niger Delta Games

By Anne AzukaDelta State has formally received the Torch...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img