x

Enugu police says report of gunmen running riot in the state inaccurate

The Enugu state police command has issued a press release describing media report of gunmen running riot in Enugu local government as inaccurate, reckless and sensational, cautioning against sensational and unverified reportage.

This is contained in a press release made available to newsmen by the enugu police command today. See full text if the press release below:

ENUGU STATE POLICE COMMAND PRESS RELEASE OF TUESDAY, JANUARY 16, 2024

*REPORT OF “GUNMEN RUNNING RIOT IN ENUGU LG” INACCURATE, RECKLESS, AND SENSATIONAL*

_*…as CP Kanayo expresses dismay over publication, cautions against unverified and sensational reportage*_

The Enugu State Police Command is aware of a publication in the Vanguard Newspaper of today, January 16, 2024, alleging that gunmen ran riot in the Uzo-Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State, recently.

2. The Command, having gone through the content of the report and its available records, wishes to state categorically that the report is reckless, misleading, inaccurate, fictitious, and sensational. For instance, the report states that seven wedding guests were abducted in the the said local government, when there was no such abduction in the area.

3. It equally misleadingly claims that the gunmen engaged soldiers in a shout-out in the process, whereas there was no such incident whatsoever, let alone a shootout with soldiers. The publishers are, therefore, challenged to name the said wedding guests.

4. The report also highlights the case of the shooting and murder of the traditional ruler of Adani Autonomous community on the night of 22/12/2023, without double-checking and ensuring that they reported the true position of the case. They hurriedly went to press, failing to acknowledge the fact that the Command had immediately launched a manhunt and an investigation into the case, leading to the arrest, arraignment and remand of eight suspects.

5. They further hurriedly reported the case of the abduction of one Romanus Chikwelu (male) and three others, without cross-checking their facts to confirm and establish the fact that the victims had earlier been immediately rescued by joint security forces.

6. Consequently, the Commissioner of Police, *CP Kanayo Uzuegbu, psc (+)*, while expressing dismay over the publication, has cautioned media practitioners, both in the mainstream and the new media, against publishing unverified and sensational stories that are capable of creating fears and despair in the minds of unsuspecting citizens.

7. The Commissioner reiterates that the Police remain committed to continuously fight all forms of crime to a standstill and to maintain the improved general serene security atmosphere in Enugu State. He maintains that media practitioners, through their critical role of investigative journalism, remain very crucial partners in the actualisation of these goals.

8. Therefore, the CP charges media practitioners, particularly those in the State, to continue to work harmoniously with the Police and ensure the accurate reporting of security situations by verifying their information.

*DSP DANIEL NDUKWE, anipr*
Police Public Relations Officer,
Enugu State Command,
State Headquarters,
GRA, Enugu.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

Police Rescue Kidnapped Israeli Engineer in Taraba

The Taraba State Police Command, in collaboration with the...

PDP Chieftain Calls for EFCC Probe into Ebonyi Contract Racketeering

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in...

BREAKING: Kevin De Bruyne Confirms Manchester City Departure

Kevin De Bruyne has officially announced that he will...

Wike dismisses rumours of collapse, says its a political gimmick to divert attention

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister, Barr. Nysome Wike on...

Ijoba Lande Reveals Payment After a Month on Set with Funke Akindele

Controversial Nollywood actor and comedian, Ijoba Lande, has shared...

Protesters Demand Suspension of FUOYE VC Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Protesters gathered at the Federal Ministry of Education in...

Six Nigerians Among 0.8% of World’s Black Billionaires – Forbes

Black billionaires remain a small fraction of the world’s...

JUST-IN: Court Stops Pro-Wike Rally In Bayelsa

A Bayelsa State High Court in Yenagoa has issued...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img