By Jabiru Hassan
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has debunked claims by the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) that an explosion occurred at its Onitsha Sub-Region station, insisting the report was false and misleading.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, TCN said the misinformation stemmed from EEDC’s publication of August 27, 2025, regarding the recent power outage in Anambra State and Oji River in Enugu State.
According to TCN, the actual cause of the partial loss of power at the 330kV switchyard in Onitsha on August 21, 2025, at about 2:34 a.m., was an insulation flashover of a porcelain insulator (P1) on the red phase jumper conductor to bus bar 1, following heavy rainfall.
The company explained that power supply was restored by 5:54 p.m. the same day, noting that it had already scheduled an outage for August 31 and September 1, 2025, to replace the faulty stack porcelain insulators.
“We clarify that there was no explosion of equipment or loss of switchgear at the TCN Onitsha Sub-Region,” the company said.
TCN further urged EEDC to ensure accuracy in its public communications, stressing that deliberate misinformation or propaganda was “unprofessional and unacceptable.”