x

Barcelona test can be a platform to success in claycourt season: Nadal

World number two Rafa Nadal said his gruelling 6-4 6-7(6) 7-5 win over Stefanos Tsitsipas in the Barcelona Open final on Sunday could prepare him for long battles ahead in the European claycourt season.

The 34-year-old, who claimed a record-extending 12th Barcelona title, suffered a back injury in Melbourne earlier this year before he was beaten by Tsitsipas in the Australian Open quarter-finals.

Following a spell out on the sidelines, the 20-times Grand Slam champion returned to action at Monte Carlo this month, going out in the quarters.

But the Spaniard, who will be looking for a 14th French Open crown when the claycourt Grand Slam begins on May 30, showed he was returning to his battling best on Sunday, saving a match point before going on to winning his first title of 2021.

At three hours and 38 minutes, it was the longest best-of-three-set ATP Tour final since statistics started being tracked in 1991, the governing body of men’s tennis said.

“I haven’t been able to play a lot of competitive matches for the past couple of months. It’s true that matches like today make me feel better physically and more ready for long battles,” Nadal told reporters.

“I think I’ve been able to play better and better during the whole week in every single match and today was a bit better than yesterday. I have room to keep improving. I wasn’t perfect.

“I really believe I can play better than what I’m doing on clay and I hope that the victory is going to help me to raise a little bit my level that I need to fight for the next couple of events that I’m going to play.”Nadal will next be in action at the Madrid Open in early May.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

My Administration Not Against Rallies – Gov Diri

Amgbare Ekaunkumo, YenagoaGovernor of Bayelsa State, Senator Douye Diri,...

Julius Berger rejigging infrastructural development in Rivers state

. From the Ring Road through Emohua, Tema, Abalama...

MBF condemns Uromi killing, reject attempt to unleash violence on Southerners in north

Middle Belt reject attempt to unleash violence on Southerners...

Sports Can Change the World Through Transformative Power — Segun Odegbami

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaA renowned National footballer Legend, Dr....

Exceed President Tinubu’s Target- Igoche Mark Charges Kida

Basketball promoter and founder of the Mark D' Ball...

Wike employs 34 Resident Doctors for FCT Hospitals

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe FCT Minister Barr Nysome Wike has...

Why Uzor Arukwe Is Nollywood’s Hottest Star Right Now – Segun Arinze

Veteran Nollywood actor Segun Arinze has hailed his colleague...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img