x

Nasarawa: Tiv Farmers in Awe LGA Accuse Govt. Officials of Forcefully Harvesting their crop

By Leo Zwànke, Lafia

Farmers in Anyarkeke, Ikyochiha, Shankodi, and China communities of Ribi District, Jangwa Development Area, Awe Local Government Area, Nasarawa State, have raised serious allegations against government officials and traditional leaders.

They claim their rice crops are being forcefully harvested by individuals led by the Chief of Jangwa, Shehu Adamu, allegedly acting under orders from the state government.

When our Correspondent visited the communities on Friday the farmers who are predominantly Tiv farming communities, with a population of over 10,000, was in turmoil as their main source of livelihood has been distroyed. Some farmers alleged that security personnel, including heavily armed soldiers, accompanied the officials to their farms to carry out the illegal harvest.

Narrating his ordeal, Mr. Joseph Faga, one of the affected farmers, said, “The planting season was peaceful, but everything changed during harvest. I found the commissioner overseeing the Ministry of Agriculture, the local government chairman, and the chief of Jangwa harvesting my rice. When I confronted them, they said it was an order from the state government.”

Faga added, “They have been threshing my rice for three days now under tight security. I feel helpless watching my hard work being taken away like this.”

Another farmer, Mr. Vitalis Chiangi, expressed similar anguish, describing the situation as devastating. “This rice is our only source of income and survival. We plead with the authorities to intervene before things escalate further,” he said.

Community leader Iorlaha Aloysius accused the government of acting contrary to a court order and ignoring the farmers’ rights. “The land is not under dispute, and a high court in Abuja had restrained the state government or any party from interfering with the Tiv farmers. If the government wants the land, they should call for dialogue instead of harvesting our crops without notice. This is unjust and inhuman,” Aloysius stated.

The farmers estimated that over 400 bags of rice had already been harvested from their farms, leaving them in dire straits.

When contacted, the chairman of Awe Local Government Area, Hon. Dankano, denied any involvement in the matter. “I am not aware of such an incident, but I will investigate and provide more information,” he said. When pressed about allegations that he was present during the harvest, Dankano maintained, “I have no knowledge of the situation, but I will look into it and revert.”

Governor Abdullahi Sule recently addressed similar concerns during a visit to Jangwa Development Area, where the state government oversaw the harvest of 2,000 hectares of rice. “The state government has no intention of forcefully taking land from anyone. If there is a need for land acquisition, the right processes, including compensation, will be followed,” the governor assured.

The governor also dismissed allegations circulating on social media about the government’s involvement in the forced harvesting of farmers’ crops. “We are committed to ensuring transparency and fairness in our operations,” he added.

The affected farmers have called on the state and federal governments to investigate the incident, return their harvested rice, and ensure that such occurrences are prevented in the future.

Hot this week

Kogi Police Dismiss Rumour of Impending Bandit Attack, Assure Residents of Security

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Kogi State Police Command has...

FCTA Says Abuja Early School Closure is Fake

… Mandate Secretary Suspended.By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe Federal Capital Territory...

“There Was No Blueprint for Me” — Nigerians Slam Wizkid Over Claim He Created His Own Path

Nigerian music fans are debating fiercely online after Afrobeats...

Tuesday 25 November 2025

Champions League18:45 CETAjaxvBenfica18:45 CETGalatasarayvUnion Saint-Gilloise21:00 CETBodo/GlimtvJuventus21:00 CETChelseavBarcelona21:00 CETDortmundvVillarreal21:00 CETMan...

2027 Elections: Gov Alia Denies Plan to Defect to ADC After Visit to Ayu

By Isaac Kertyo, MakurdiBenue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth...

A”Ibom community condemns campaign against Monarch aftermath of election

By Ogenyi Ogenyi,UyoThe Ekpri Nsukara Offot Village Council has...

Igbomotoru Massacre: Amagbein urges CDS to reopen investigations to bring perpetrators to book

By Our CorrespondentNiger Delta ex-agitator, the self-styled General...

NOA Affirms Commitment to Drive Public Support for New Tax Laws

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe National Orientation Agency (NOA) has affirmed...

Youths Involvement is Essential in Peacebuilding

By Raliat AbdulkadirIn Nigeria today, the youths make up...

Riyadh 2025: Yussuf Alli Credits Team Nigeria’s Historic Success to NSC Planning, Athlete Welfare

Team Nigeria’s Deputy Chef-de-Mission to the Riyadh 2025 Islamic...

NYA Appoints Seven New State Chairmen for North-West Zone

By Jabiru HassanThe Office of the National Vice President...

Bishop Kukah Says No Christian Persecution in Nigeria, Cites Misuse of Data and Genocide Claims

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaBishop of the Sokoto Catholic Diocese...

North-West Security Summit: Gov. Uba Sani, Defence Minister Outline Strategies to Tackle Insecurity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKey stakeholders from government, defence,...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img