x

Nigeria Gains Edge in Pursuit of Tosin After England Squad Omission

By  Milcah   Tanimu

Nigeria has received a significant boost in their pursuit of Chelsea defender Tosin Adarabioyo after his omission from the latest England squad.

The 26-year-old center-back, who previously played for England at various youth levels, was not named in the squad for upcoming international fixtures against Finland and Greece in the UEFA Nations League. Interim England manager Lee Carsley selected defenders John Stones, Kyle Walker, Levi Colwill, Ezri Konsa, Rico Lewis, Marc Guéhi, and Trent Alexander-Arnold instead.

Although Tosin has represented England in U16, U17, U18, and U19 teams, he has yet to make an appearance for the senior national team. His last appearance for the Young Lions was nearly nine years ago, on November 15, 2015, against the Japan youth team.

This development opens the door for Nigeria, which is actively seeking a reliable central defender to enhance their lineup and build a future partnership with Calvin Bassey. The Fulham star previously partnered with William Troost-Ekong and Semi Ajayi in the 2025 AFCON qualifiers against Benin and Rwanda under interim manager Austin Eguavoen.

However, concerns arise regarding the age and pace of the current defensive trio, which could make Nigeria vulnerable during the 2025 AFCON tournament.

Tosin, who has impressed in the Premier League with Fulham and Chelsea, should adapt well to the national team, having previously played alongside several Nigerian players at the club level. A product of Manchester City’s academy, he has shared the field with Ola Aina, Ademola Lookman, Alex Iwobi, and notably, Calvin Bassey. Tosin and Bassey formed a strong defensive partnership at Fulham before Bassey’s recent move to Chelsea.

 

Hot this week

Tinubu Prioritising National Security, Says Tinubu Support Group Amid Renewed Attacks

By Dr. Umar Tanko YakasaiThe Tinubu Support Group (TSG)...

Pius Akutah’s Alleged Fraud at Nigerian Shippers Council Uncovered

Investigations by Nigerian Concord Newspaper reveal that the Executive...

‘Single Mother Stigma Only Applies to Poor Women’ – Mercy Eke

Nigerian reality TV star and Big Brother Naija Season...

North-Central APC Forum Says Yilwatda Has No Power to Stop Muftwang’s Defection

By Israel Adamu, JosThe North-Central All Progressives Congress (APC)...

Oborevwori Presents N1.664 Trillion 2026 Budget, Prioritises Infrastructure and Economic Growth

By Anne AzukaDelta State Governor Sheriff Oborevwori on Wednesday...

Tinubu’s Swift Security Interventions Reflect Good Leadership — Amb. Tsoken

By Jabiru HassanThe National President of the APC Initiative...

Kogi Polytechnic Inaugurates New SUG and NAKOSS Leaders for 2025/2026 Session

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaKogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, has inaugurated...

NYSC DG Urges Delta Corps Members to Respect Host Community Culture, Embrace Skills Training

By Anne AzukaThe Director-General of the National Youth Service...

After 27 Years, Kaduna Engineer Wins Legal Battle Against KDSG Agency, Recovers Property

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaA Kaduna-based engineer, Augustine Aneke, has...

Kogi Governor Ododo Unveils Tough New Security Measures to Tackle Rising Criminal Threats

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaKogi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman...

Bayelsa Government Announces Movement Restriction for Monthly Environmental Sanitation on Saturday

By Amgbare Ekaunkumo, YenagoaThe Bayelsa State Environmental Sanitation...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img