x

Keyamo clarifies: Tinubu did not remove subsidy

 

Festus Keyamo, the Chief Spokesman for the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign, has clarified that President Bola Tinubu did not remove fuel subsidy. Keyamo explained that certain media outlets have been misrepresenting the situation by claiming that Tinubu’s government eliminated the subsidy, despite the fact that President Tinubu explicitly stated during his inaugural speech on May 29 that subsidy had been abolished.

Keyamo, a former Minister of State for Labour, further clarified that Tinubu’s administration had inherited a system where there was no provision for subsidy in the 2023 Appropriation Act from June 2023 onwards. Additionally, the recently enacted Petroleum Industry Act does not include any provision for subsidy.

Through a series of tweets from his official Twitter handle, @fkeyamo, Keyamo emphasized that the media’s portrayal of Tinubu’s government removing subsidy is incorrect. Instead, he emphasized that the absence of subsidy in the 2023 Appropriation Act and the Petroleum Industry Act were pre-existing conditions that Tinubu’s administration inherited.

“President Tinubu merely acknowledged this state of affairs in his inaugural speech at the Eagle Square.

“So, any advocate of subsidy should convince the Nigerian people why President Tinubu should start on a note of illegality by promising to reintroduce something which the law has taken away. They should also convince the Nigerian people why President Tinubu should embark on a present illegality that gulped $10 billion of our scarce or unavailable resources in 2022 alone.”

He added that those claiming to defend the rights or welfare of workers should convince the Nigerian people that the $10 billion injected into the economy annually will not jumpstart the economy enough to create massive jobs and even increase the same minimum wage they complain about.

Hot this week

Archbishop Amaga Urges Stakeholders to Invest in Universities as Engines of National Development

Archbishop Sam Amaga, Founder and Chancellor of Salem University,...

Olusanya Resumes as Perm. Sec. Humanitarian Ministry

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuMr. Olubunmi Olusanya has assumed the role...

FCTA Says Abuja Early School Closure is Fake

… Mandate Secretary Suspended.By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe Federal Capital Territory...

Gov. Ododo Mourns Etsu Bassa Nge, HRH Abu Ali, Describes Him as Pillar of Peace and Unity

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaKogi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman...

NOA Affirms Commitment to Drive Public Support for New Tax Laws

By Joyce Remi-BabayejuThe National Orientation Agency (NOA) has affirmed...

Youths Involvement is Essential in Peacebuilding

By Raliat AbdulkadirIn Nigeria today, the youths make up...

Riyadh 2025: Yussuf Alli Credits Team Nigeria’s Historic Success to NSC Planning, Athlete Welfare

Team Nigeria’s Deputy Chef-de-Mission to the Riyadh 2025 Islamic...

NYA Appoints Seven New State Chairmen for North-West Zone

By Jabiru HassanThe Office of the National Vice President...

Bishop Kukah Says No Christian Persecution in Nigeria, Cites Misuse of Data and Genocide Claims

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaBishop of the Sokoto Catholic Diocese...

North-West Security Summit: Gov. Uba Sani, Defence Minister Outline Strategies to Tackle Insecurity

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaKey stakeholders from government, defence,...

FG Reaffirms Commitment to Eradicating Insecurity, Seeks Stronger Global Support – Akume

By Francis WilfredThe Federal Government has reiterated its...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img