x

Travellers Stranded in Taraba as Bridge Collapse Cuts Off Major Highway

Travellers and motorists in Taraba State have been left stranded following the collapse of the Namnai Bridge along the Jalingo-Wukari federal highway. A heavy downpour on Tuesday night further worsened the situation, washing away a makeshift wooden bridge that had been serving as an alternative route.

Governor Agbu Kefas had recently visited the site of the collapsed bridge, assuring road users that the state government would reconstruct it. The government subsequently awarded a contract worth over N19 billion to Cloneburge Construction Company for the bridge’s reconstruction. However, before an official alternative route could be provided, the rains destroyed the locally built passage, leaving travellers stuck at both sides of River Namnai.

A correspondent at the scene on Wednesday morning reported that with no way to move their vehicles across, commercial drivers were forced to turn back, while local youths resorted to carrying passengers on their backs to cross the river.

One affected driver, Mr. Tony Abume, expressed frustration, saying, “We have no option but to return to Jalingo. Our passengers are crossing on people’s backs, and there’s no way for vehicles to get across.”

A local youth leader, Mr. Iliasu Namnai, who organized villagers to assist stranded travellers, clarified that their efforts were not solely for financial gain but to help people reach their destinations. “Although we take a little money from passengers, our goal is not profit. We are appealing to Governor Kefas to fulfill his promise and rebuild the bridge because the challenge of ferrying people across is overwhelming,” he said.

Attempts to reach the Taraba State Commissioner for Works, Mr. Moseh Luka, for comments were unsuccessful, as his phone lines were unreachable, and he was absent from his office at the time of inquiry.

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

CSO Investigative Council Reacts to Alleged Poor Construction of Abia North Road

• ..We absolve Federal Cooperative College, urge contractor to...

CSO Commends Tinubu for Implementing 77k NYSC Allowance

Save Nigeria Movement (SNM), a national civil society organization...

INEC Collapses Plans to RecallSenator Natasha in Kogi

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC)...

BREAKING: Renewed Hope Proactiveness In Tackling Emergencies Commended.

By Jabiru Hassan.Less than 24 hours of the sad...

INEC Rejects Petition to Recall Senator Natasha in Kogi,

By Noah Ocheni, LokojaThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)...

Delta 2027: No Vacancy In Govt House, says Guwor

By Anne Azuka Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly, Rt...

Rainstorm destroys over 70 houses  in Langtang South LGA of Plateau

By Isreal Adamu, Jos No fewer than 70  houses and...

Plateau govt fumes as gunmen kill 10 persons in Bokkos LGA 

By Israel Adamu,Jos At least, 10 persons were killed on...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img