x

Germany’s Maas calls attacks on civilians in Idlib ‘war crimes’

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas on Thursday said indiscriminate attacks against civilians in the north-western Syrian province of Idlib are “war crimes” and “those responsible must be held accountable.”

Speaking at a United Nations Security Council meeting, Maas said the Syrian government and its ally Russia “have an obligation to protect civilians,” but are instead “bombing civilian infrastructure, such as hospitals and schools.”

“Conducting counter-terrorism measures doesn’t absolve anyone from respecting international humanitarian law,” the German minister said.

Moscow’s UN ambassador Vassily Nebenzia rejected the assertions, saying reports of bombings of civilian targets were often based on false information.

Nearly 950,000 people have been displaced in north-western Syria since December due to an ongoing campaign by the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and allied Russians in the last rebel stronghold in the country, according to the UN.

UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore said over half a million children were among those pushed from their homes due to the escalation in fighting.

In briefing the council, she said around 2,000 children were killed in the past two years and reiterated UN chief Antonio Guterres’ call for a political solution in Syria.

“The longer this war continues, the more children are going to die on the world’s watch,” Fore said. “Millions of Syrian children are crying tonight – from hunger and cold, from wounds and pain, from fear, loss and heartbreak.”

Maas also called for an increased effort to find a political solution, stressing that “reconciliation without accountability for the terrible crimes committed will not work.”

“A regime that has been killing and torturing its own people cannot bring lasting peace and stability to Syria,” Maas said.

The German politician also urged the Security Council to ensure full humanitarian access to the war-torn country, saying “cross-border aid remains of vital importance.”

Last month, the 15-member council extended the delivery of aid to Syria through two border crossings in Turkey, but halted humanitarian access through the country’s north-east due to opposition by Russia and China.

Moscow had argued that cross-border assistance was no longer needed because it was being delivered by the Syrian government, which does not consent to the UN aid mechanism.

The Security Council asked Guterres to report back on possible alternative routes to the shuttered Al Yarubiyah crossing between Syria and Iraq.

The UN secretary general suggested in his report that the Tal Abiyad crossing between Syria and Turkey could be used to deliver aid to civilians in the north-east.

UN deputy emergency relief coordinator Ursula Mueller warned the council on Thursday that “if viable alternatives to Al Yarubiyah are not found for medical items, the gap between the humanitarian response and humanitarian needs will increase further.”

“If medicine runs out and medical facilities are unable to carry out life-saving procedures, deaths will occur,” Mueller said, adding that the first shortages for facilities providing reproductive health care are expected by March. (dpa)

Hot this week

Editors Urge Government To Create Safe, Enabling Environment For Journalists

· Ask security agents to find missing Vanguard journalistAs...

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari orders probe of Isa Funtua, AMCON over keystone and Etisalat

Following the controversy generated by the leading opposition party,...

6 Signs your boyfriend thinks you are ugly -Take note of No. 2

They say there are three kinds of people; the...

2023: South-East, Middle Belt Forum Endorses Peter Obi

The South-East and Middle Belt Forum has endorsed the...

NATIONAL POLICE DAY: SOKOTO  POLICE COMMAND  CELEBRATE DAY

By Muhammad Ibrahim, Sokoto In continuation to mark National Police...

Tinubu political adviser, Hakeem Baba Ahmed resigns from.office 

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaDr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the political adviser...

PLATEAU APC LEADER SENATOR LALONG HOLDS MORE ENGAGEMENTS WITH STAKEHOLDERS 

Senator representing Plateau South Senatorial District Simon Bako Lalong...

Bokkos killings – Death toll hits 52

As  Plateau govt calls for calm says ,few  arrest...

Corruption stalls Nigeria’s Guinness World record boxing championship fight – Bash Ali writes Tinubu

*Say's 132 countries expected in Nigeria By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna Nigerian's...

Kaduna: Uba Sani has revamps health sector- Commissioner  

*As NPSC ranked Kaduna State By Achadu Gabriel, Kaduna Governor Uba...

North-Central APC adopts SGF Akume as leader, targets 6 million votes for Tinubu in 2027

By Isreal  Adams Jos The North-Central All Progressives Congress, APC,...

CSOs Inaugurate New Committee to Enhance Budget Accountability and Combat Corruption

• …CBIAMEC to Focus on Oversight, Transparency, and Effective...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img