x

Man Utd vs Liverpool match Postponed

Manchester United’s Premier League clash against Liverpool was postponed on Sunday after fans invaded the Old Trafford pitch as part of a protest against United’s owners, the Glazer family.

Hundreds of fans managed to make their way into the ground, chanting “we want Glazers out.”

Large numbers of supporters had also gathered outside the stadium and there were clashes with police as they moved in to disperse the crowd.

“Following discussion between the police, the Premier League, Trafford Council and the clubs, our match against Liverpool has been postponed due to safety and security considerations around the protest today,” United said in a statement.

“Our fans are passionate about Manchester United and we completely acknowledge the right to free expression and peaceful protest.

“However, we regret the disruption to the team and actions which put other fans, staff and the police in danger. We thank the police for their support and will assist them in any subsequent investigations.”

The match had been due to start at 1630 local time (1530GMT), but had been delayed by over an hour before the decision to call the match off was confirmed.

“The security and safety of everyone at Old Trafford remains of paramount importance,” the Premier League said in a statement.

“We understand and respect the strength of feeling but condemn all acts of violence, criminal damage and trespass, especially given the associated COVID-19 breaches.

“Fans have many channels by which to make their views known, but the actions of a minority seen today have no justification.”

Manchester City could have been crowned Premier League champions on Sunday had United lost the match.

No rearranged date has yet been agreed for the fixture to be played.

“Liverpool Football Club was in full agreement with the decision to postpone today’s fixture as a result of ongoing events at Old Trafford and the surrounding area,” Liverpool said in a statement.

“It is our position that public safety must be the number one factor in any such decision, with the ability to provide a secure environment for the participants, staff and officials being a particular priority.

“It was clearly not possible for this to be guaranteed today due to a situation which escalated rapidly.”

– Anger reignited -Anger towards the Glazers has been reignited by United’s part in a failed European Super League (ESL) project, that collapsed within 48 hours last month due to a backlash from fans, players, governments and governing bodies.

United and Liverpool were reportedly two of the leading drivers behind the project that sought to guarantee top level European football for 15 founder members every season without the need to qualify on the pitch.

In a rare public statement, United co-chairman Joel Glazer apologised to fans last month for signing up to the ESL.

“You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right,” he said.

United fans also breached security at their club’s training ground in the days after the ESL proposals were made public to protest against the Glazers.

The Americans have owned United since a controversial leveraged takeover in 2005 saddled the club with hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt.

As the English giants have paid off huge interest payments, the Glazers have still regularly drawn out millions in dividends from their shares.

United fans wore green and gold colours to matches early in the Glazers’ reign, the colours of Newton Heath, the club founded in 1878 that eventually became Manchester United 24 years later, as a sign of protest.

Green and gold scarves and flares were back at Old Trafford on Sunday, while there were a number of banners aimed at the Glazers.

United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has already announced he will be leaving his role by the end of the year amid the fallout from the failed ESL project.

“There’s huge discontent, not just across Manchester United fans, but I think for football fans up and down the country and I think they are just saying enough is enough,” former United captain Gary Neville told Sky Sports.

AFP

Hot this week

Peace Envoy, Prof. Kwaja, Defects to APC in Plateau

By Israel Adamu, JosThe Special Envoy on Peace and...

225 Bayelsa Public Schools Receive Science Laboratory Equipment, Drawing Desks

No fewer than 225 public secondary schools and five...

Kogi Poly Gets New Rector as Prof. Ogbo Hands Over to Prof. Avidime

Professor Salihu Sanusi Avidime has formally assumed office as...

CDHR President Pays Tribute to Late Beko Ransome-Kuti at Memorial Lecture

The National President of the Committee for the Defence...

55 Years of Partnership and the New Dawn in China–Nigeria Bilateral Relations

By Joseph Tegbe, Director-General and Global Liaison, Nigeria–China Strategic...

El-Rufai Must Return Every Kobo Allegedly Looted – Shehu Sani

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaFormer Senator representing Kaduna Central in...

El-rufai must return every Kobo he allegedly looted in Kaduna- Sen. Shehu Sani

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe Senator representing Kaduna Central...

Nigeria Police invites World Boxing Champion, Bash Ali, over petition, fraud allegations

By Gabriel AchaduBy Achadu Gabriel, KadunaNigeria police has...

Kano Speaker Extends Condolences Over Singa Market Fire

By Jabiru HassanThe Speaker of the , Rt. Hon....

Northern Citizens’ Group Slams El-Rufai Over NSA Phone-Tapping Claim

By Achadu Gabriel, KadunaThe Northern Citizens’ Group has criticized...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img